RGB vs S Video vs Scart which is superior

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Ray Von, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Ray Von

Ray Von

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Confused by the above

which is better ?? RGB, S-video and Scart

looking to by a Toshiba 42WH18 RPTV which has 1 RGB input and 2 S-video - scarts.

I reckon RGB for my PS2 - my sony davs800 will take the S-video connection and that leaves the last scart for my Ntl - digital pace box.

I've also got a video to connect how will that work ???

also can someone tell me what "Convergence" is and why its important or not ?

cheers

2. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    RGB is better than S-video. A SCART connector can transfer either of them, as well as regular composite video.

RGB transfers the three primary colors (red, green and blue) individually, which means none of them is compromised in resolution.

Regular composite video merges them to a black and white signal, and adds the color in at a frequency of its own above the black and white signal. This leads to both interference and limited resolution for both signals. S-video keeps the two signals apart, which solves these interference problem and increases resolution, but the color is still kept at a separate frequency, as in composite video. Therefore it does not get as sharp as an RGB signal.

Having two S-video SCART's you could spare one of them for your VCR, as it will accept composite video. I'd suggest using a good SCART splitter to share the RGB SCART between the DVD player and PS2, as either of them will benefit from RGB.

Convergence is the alignment of the three primary colors on screen. In an RPTV this requires compensation circuits, as the three primary colors are projected individually by separate CRT's, of which two are angled toward the screen. Misconvergence leads to a loss of sharpness and colored edges on details. That is the main reason for the trademark RPTV fuzziness, and getting it carefully adjusted can seriously improve picture quality.

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    I'm sure you meant a SCART switch box rather than a SCART Splitter, as a splitter is for output devices rather an input devices.

4. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  5. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You're right. For some reason I didn't think about the difference. :)