1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB vs S-Video input for DVD recording

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Professor Frink, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Professor Frink

Professor Frink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I, like many people have been amazed by the apparent lack of thought by some DVD recorder makers in failing to provide RGB inputs for our recording sources. I am looking for a DVD recorder and many of the most innovative seem to be shackled with a lowly(seemingly) S-video input. I suspect that this is because most are designed initially for the US and Asian markets where RGB Scart input does not exist.

I decided to check out the difference and connected a Freeview box to my TV (Hitachi 32PD3000 plasma) by RGB and S-video (via a JS RGB to S-video box). After much eye straining, I can honestly say that the only noticeable difference was a small amount of noise in the red area of the FTN daytime display picture with S-video. On all other channels I could not see any difference. There may be differences on other equipment setups but for this one, it was not of any significance.

Three other points to consider are:
    1. The quality of the transmitted signal varies greatly, from excellent to abysmal.
    2. Recordings are not often made at the highest quality setting due to the short recording time (usually 1h) that this gives.
    3. Most set top boxes give a S-video signal at best on their second scart (I know that you could use an RGB splitter).

So in conclusion, My feeling is that going for a recorder with an S-video input rather than an RGB input is not a real problem and I will be re-evaluating my potential choices of DVD recorder as a result. (Probably Toshiba DR-1 MR)

2. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    My feelings too.

And I've just ordered a Tosh DR1 :D

If you read bobbles thread about the Toshiba XS30 you'll see that his experience showed that the Tosh S-Vid in was better than his old Pan E30 RGB.

3. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As Frink said,different results will appear on different set ups,but it remains that,technically at least,RGB is superior to s-video.Regardless of that,all dvd recorders should now be available with both options.

4. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Don't get me wrong I think all recorders should be able to cope with RGB in and especially today ALL new release machines should cope without question. I'm a great supporter of RGB and all scarts should be able to handle it. (BTW I use component for my DVD :D )

It's just that I want a DVD player that handles PAL/NTSC Prog Scan has firewire and records and the Tosh DR1 does this. The recording function will mainly be from Sky for the normal drivel of Simpsons, Friends some music vids etc. so RGB is not that important. Most films that I watch on DVD have DD or DTS soundtracks which recorders can't handle at the moment and I think these soundtracks add considerably to the enjoyment of the film. In other words I'd rather rent/buy the DVD to get the most from it than watch a copy made from Sky broadcasts but then it's a personal thing.

5. Professor Frink

Professor Frink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that RGB is technically superior but that superiority becomes pointless if the difference when viewed is so little that it is not noticeable under normal viewing.

6. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    What about the problem where some digboxes only output in composite & RGB! - Like the telewest pace. You then need an additional RGB to S-video convertor to get the best out of them.
    As far as I can see there is only the panny & sony recorders which record RGB. Is this correct?
    Azzo.

7. Professor Frink

Professor Frink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point Azzo, I use a JS RGB to S-video box to feed my S-vhs recorder, so similar could be used. The Philips recorders have RGB input and the rare Yamaha DRX-1 has no RGB but has component input! It also has prog scan output using Faroudja DCDi. (not sure if it is NTSC prog only or does PAL as well).

8. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Can someone tell me why I get a sort of shimmering effect when trying to copy a DVD via the s-video connection on the front of my E50 ? The same effect occurs when playing a video what ever format via my Nvidia graphics card's tv out. Is this some kind of 'disturbance' or copy protection to put you off making copies or a fault ?

9. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless the recorder puts up a message regarding CP then not likely.Is the dvd connected vis s-video output aswell?Why not use RGB from the dvd and on the recorder-or is it an NTSC dvd which Panny recorders won't allow an RGB input on

10. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Yes it's just a s-video to s-video lead. The DVD is just a normal region 2 but as I say I get the same effect when with video played from the pc. I guess it's a fault but I'll put up with it anyway. Perhaps some interference / break though from my cheap scart cables maybe...

Not sure I mean shimmering, can't really describe but it sounds like a faulty input :-(

11. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried RGB-RGB via Scart to see if it happens on that?

12. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    No can't be bothered to mess around at the back, it's a real hassle. It's not the issue anyway. All I'm slightly concerned about is why I get this with the s-video connection at the front. Probably a fault but I'll live with it!

13. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Had another try from a DVD player / pc tv out just now and all is fine. Perhaps some locally generated interference was casuing the problem the other day...

14. cookie

cookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe someone here can answer a question i have about this RGB business. maybe i should be posting in the freeview forums?

i am thinking of buying a toshiba RD-XS30, i realise it doesn't have an RGB input, but am not sure if my freeview box (nokia 221T) will output in S-Video.

can anyone confirm that i will be able to record on the tosh from my nokia box via the scart?

TIA

15. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The Nokia 221T does not output s-video. It outputs RGB or composite on the TV scart and composite on the VCR scart. It doesn't do RGB passthrough either.

You will therefore only be able to record in composite unless you buy an RGB-svideo convertor or get a recorder that can handle an RGB input.

I have a 221T and a Panny E50, and the results recording RGB are excellent.

16. cookie

cookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    will composite be really poor quality then?

since my first posting, i've been considering whether i really need a HDD machine and am considering the E50 myself. can anyone recommend a good (and hopefully cheap) place to get a multi region version if such a beast exists?

17. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes it will be poor, tbh without being able to output s-vid direct i would advise the panny option

i think amazon had them MR for 250

unless you are happy editing on your pc i would also advise you pay the extra now and get a hs2

18. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Unlike VHS, the DVDs you create will have menu screens of some kind which includes text and various colours...

THIS is where RGB comes into it's own and where S-video and composite doesn't come close in the stability and clarity but will give you plenty of shimmer, cross talk, halos etc.

S-Video/Composite + on screen menus = eyestrain!

Anyone thinking of buying a DVD Recorder should really consider RGB before purchasing. It's what swayed me with the Pam E100 rather than the new Pioneer, JVC or Tosh.

19. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have to disagree Kevo. Yes, composite is the poor relation, but s-video and RGB are indistinguishable on my 44" RPTV - both give excellent detail, there is no shimmer, halos, colour bleed or cross talk with either.

The problem with composite is that the colour and brightness parts of the signal are mixed, and they then have to be separated in the tv using a comb filter. This separation is never perfect, hence the symptoms like poor quality text. With s-video and RGB, the colour and brightness parts of the signal remain separate, and both are capable of producing very stable images. Theoretically, RGB offers greater colour bandwidth, but if you think s-video is closer to composite quality than RGB quality, then there is something wrong with your tv.

20. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Or mayble there is something wrong with your TV regarding RGB input as I can clearly see a difference on my Tosh 40" between RGB and S-video.
    Some TVs handle RGB better than others.
    My brother's ols Panny looked awful in RGB.

No I don't think S-Video is closer to composite and never meant to imply that. It is superior to composite but not so to RGB.