1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB vs Progressive Component with AE300

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by djnsh, Nov 14, 2003.

1. djnsh

djnsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a Panasonic AE-300 and have clocked up 55 hours so far! I am very pleased with my purchase - it seems to really show up the poor discs among the excellent discs out there!

However after reading many posts regarding Progressive Scan via the Component Inputs in particular, will I really be bowled over if I invest in a new DVD player with this capability?

I currently have a Sony DVPNS-705 and watch via the RGB scart to the projector.

Can DVD's such as RoadTrip, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Charlie's Angels, look any better than they currently do? Notably, the quality on Ferris Bueller's Day Off is simply stunning especially considering its an 80's film - the detail retrieved seems superb - you can even read the labelling on the black answering machine during one particular scene (readers who know the film well will know what I mean) - such detail I didn't expect to see visble on a projected image.

Any advice appreciated, the AE300 is the first projector I have ever owned and so far I am more than happy (apart from maybe a rather vague green looking basketball shaped spot visible only on completlely dark scenes)..

Therefore would the Sony 930 be a sensible upgrade? I bought the 705 originally as I use SACD alot.

2. Thrash

Thrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought the Sony NS730PS to use the component progressive scan with my AE200. Hooked it up last night and the picture is stunning. It does not support SACD but it is well worth getting a progressive scan player and the 730 at £129 is great value.

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    You may like to consider the Sony 930, the next DVD deck up from the 730 which has prog. scan as well as SACD. Available in black and silver.

Component will deliver a better picture as it extracts the information from the disk and less picture processing is required, hence a subjectively better picture, and with the benefit of prog scan, you will get smoother images projected from your DVDs as it without sounding brief fills the gaps between the lines of an interlaced DVD player !!!

As for the odd green shape, this sounds like dust. If you search under my name you will find a guide with pictures on how to remove dust blobs from your AE300,

hope this helps,

Cap:)

4. djnsh

djnsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - thanks for that reply Captain!

I think the 930 sounds a good bet - I don't want to end up with two players really, which would happen if I opted for the 730 and therefore needed to keep the 705 for SACD playback

In terms of the green shape, your description on how to remove what appears to be the dust blob in my projector, I may leave until the 100 hour mark when I need to clean the filter for the first time.

Looking at your photos of the innards of the machine, I notice the LCD panels are quite close to the air intake and filter. Therefore when cleaning the filter using a vacuum cleaner as I remove the filter, would a good suck with the cleaner by the air intake move the air enough in side to dislodge the dust particle which must have settled on the green LCD panel? My vacuum is quite a powerful 1500W model and sucks quite well!

Obviously on something which I have only had three weeks, I don't really fancy taking it apart!

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    analogue component is theoretically no improvement over RGB off dvd. Analogue component is not a step closer to the colorspace the disc is mastered in compared to RGB. The key word here is "analogue".

The only issue going on here is where the better deinterlacing takes place. Progressive player or inside the projector. The deinterlacing has to happen somewhere by virtue of the ae300 being a progressive device.

6. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    To be honest, I cant really see the vacume removing the dust from outside the unit. However, always vacume the machine before doing a filter clean anyway !

As for cleaning the internals, it is quite straight-foward. However, you could always refer it to Panasonic who will clean if for you. Follow the instructions of you decide to do it, but remember to keep the air up right !!

As for Mr. D's explination - fair enough. However, all I know is that in my eyes, component looks better :smoke: However, the 930 looks like a cracker for not a lot. Look here -

http://www.avland.co.uk/sony/dvpns930/index.htm

Cap:)

7. sirp

sirp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    i have both rgb scart and component running to my ae300, and i could notice the difference very easily between the two sources, i would upgrade!

8. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the general consensus is that unless you've got a very expensive projector with excellent on board deinterlacing/scaling, a progressive scan source produces the best image.

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    It depends where the deinterlacing is superior.
    I'd never assume that a progressive player was better than onboard deinterlacing . I'd take a look first.

Captain Benefits assumption that analogue component is mysteriously closer to the data that natively exists on a dvd than analogue RGB is mistaken.

My point in posting to this thread is that there is no reason why an RGB signal should be inferior to a component one from dvd. The main issue is where the better deinterlacing is taking place.

10. MisterBig

MisterBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only seen my 300 running progressive scan from the gamecube. While the picture is considerably sharper the individual pixels are also much more visible.

If you can I'd play DVDs from you PC, it's still progressive and it’s a higher resolution than the 480p you’d get from the DVD player.