RGB vs Prog Scan - which is best

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by amar_fiaz, Nov 10, 2003.

1. amar_fiaz

amar_fiaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Everyone,

I be grateful for your comments about how to best connect my DVD to my plasma to achieve the best possible picture.

I've recently upgraded my AV kit and bought the Sony DVPNS703 DVD player, mainly because it offers PAL prog scan. Now i connect the Sony to my Panasonic TH42PW5B pasma using component connections (3 wires colored red, green and blue). On the Sony setup it allows me to select the output as either video, s-video or RGB.

Unfortunately, selecting the RGB option means that prog scan is not available. My question therefore is which option should i go for to get the best possible picture??

1. DVD (video.s-video and prog scan) --> Plasma (component)
    2. DVD (RGB, no prog scan) --> Plasma (RGB)

I'd appreciate any comments and advice.

Thanks,

AMAR

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Unless either the DVD or plasma have a problem displaying a prog scan component picture then you should stick to the prog scan as that is the native format of the picture on a DVD disk and also of most plasma screens.

Mark.

3. amar_fiaz

amar_fiaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for getting back to me Mark. So are you saying prog scan is always better than RGB (and are they always mutually exclusive)?? If so, am i doing the right thing by setting up my system like this:

DVD (ouput signal: s-video) --> plasma (set to receive component signals).

It just disturbs me a little to think i'm sending a s-video signal (via RGB component leads) to my plasma, when RGB is available. Am i missing the point somewhere along the line??

AMAR

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Prog scan is always better than RGB as long as the equipment used can display a prog scan image. Not all plasmas can and many DVD's can't, especially PAL prog as it has only recently be authorised.
    They are mutually exclusive as the component outputs on the DVD can send either component or RGB. That is why you set the output to S-Video or composite to get a prog scan image via component and would get no image if the plasma was set to component and the DVD to RGB.
    RGB can only transmit an interlaced image and a progressive scan image can only be transferred via a component connection.

Mark.

5. amar_fiaz

amar_fiaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark. You've cleared up a lot of confusion for me, i appreciate the advice.

AMAR
    Denon AVR1603
    Sony DVPNS730
    Panasonic TH42PW5

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Glad to be of some help.

It's not that long ago that I was the one asking the questions and trying to do the impossible. So now I'm just passing on some of the knowledge I have gained on these forums.

Mark.

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    RGB and Component

- both of similar quality (want to say identical but they are different and people will only moan!)

- both can be interlaced or progressive

- RGB can exist as RGB with a H & V sync (the connection between your graphics card and PC is a non-interlaced RGBHV signal), RGB sync on black (what comes out an RGB scart socket), and RGB with sync on green (rarer than the other two)

Then S-Video

- IIRC created or co-created by BBC R&D team
    - same princibles as Component (break picture into luminance and chrominance) but cheaper than RGB which at the time was v.expensive

Lastly Composite Video

-absolute pants but you could run a cable to the moon and back and still get a picture!

Prog Scan

this is the process of sending a de-interlaced signal from source to display. It can run either over RGB or component but is generally run over component in consumer electronics.

The confusing bit

the DVD player will usually have a output signal selection (VIDEO, SVIDEO, or RGB) which relates to the scart socket only. As component is separate to this output it will often work regardless (although usually activating RGB or SVIDEO will kill the component output). So all along you were sending component out, at the same time your scart socket was pushing out svideo too...

8. Bassline@ddict

Bassline@ddict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Excellent explanation!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Should we also mention that RGB is technically actually better than YUV (Component) but it's of no use since the information on the DVD disc itself is stored in YUV format?
    YUV has a limited color space as compared to RGB, but of course conversion from YUV to RGB (which is AFAIK lossless) doesn't 'improve' it. Then again YUV is obviously good enough ...

;)

10. amar_fiaz

amar_fiaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everyone for their comments. Based on Liam's explanation i'm pretty certain that i've setup my hardware to achieve the best possible picture.

Connecting my DVD to plasma via component should be sending progressive scan signals. Therefore displaying the best possible picture

Thanks again,

AMAR

11. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can check which signal your plasma is receiving through the hidden service menu, look for the thread in this forum.

Mike

12. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems to me that the definitive answer is:

DVD to Plasma using component AND prog scan will give you the best possible picture from your options.

13. John Narayan

John Narayan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yea but all TV'S convert to R.G.B anyhow, all things being
    equal it should not matter:- unless you want progressive
    scan (non-interlaced) use component.