RGB v's Component

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Biccy, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondered if anyone can help me out as v.new to buying AV hardware. Have got some great advice so far from these forums about DVD recorders & TV's but am still bit confused as to best video connections. Am buying Toshiba RDXS32 recorder & probably Sony KV32FX68 TV which has RGB scart input but not component input. Just wanted to know if I should spend extra on TV with component input or is RGB going to be good enough for DVD viewing, ie not that much difference between the 2? I've read that component is advisable for top end equipment (plasmas & projectors etc) but still not sure if worth it on mid-range stuff im buying. Any advice greatly appreciated as im confused by it all!

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    On a 32" TV component is not a huge issue, some improvements in DVD and console (mainly console veiwing) also if it costs £50 go for it £200 i wouldnt bother. Have you considered JVC 32P38 or Panny 32PD30

3. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats the problem, trying to find a TV with component for not too much extra cost. Thanks 4 the 2 you suggested, had look..Panny was few hundred pound more (wont get that past missus!) & from what i could find JVC 32p37 was similair price but wasnt 100hz. Most of use will be for watching sky+, occasionall DVD's so think you're right in that it probably wont be worth extra money. From Sony reviews the picture is meant to be excellent, however if there are any other good 100hz TV's out there with component input for under £650'ish i'd be greatful to hear about them. Thanks for help.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  5. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again this one is RGB scart in only. Not to worry, looks like im trying to get too much from a TV for too little money! Any reason why 100hz isnt such a benefit? Have read some threads saying its great picture with sky+ & some saying about smearing & better off with 50hz. Not totally sure what it all means, could you shed any light or any advice? Ta.

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Technically RGB and YUV (aka Component) are both component signals and of equal quality. Unfortunately the are not compatible but can be converted basically lossfree.
    YUV was initially found in the US and Asia only (as opposed to the 'European' RGB) and has established itself as the preferred consumer connection for progressive scan (PS), hence it is mostly found on projectors and plasmas.
    Now that even budget DVD players spot component and even PS it might be advisable to plan ahead and prepare your gear, especially if you purchase new stuff.
    The best choice is probably to select equipment that has YUV and DVI connections, though the latter is even more rare on standard TVs than Component/YUV (if there is such a thing yet).

Anyhow, AFAIK most players in Europe sell with RGB output (via Scart) and if you buy a 'normal' TV then that should be sufficient, but you still may want to include a PS-capable YUV output on the DVD player for future upgrades. Just in case the HC bug bites you! :D

7. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Restricted by budget & deal on TV means to go up to component input is adding hundreds to price so looks like its the Sony with RGB input. Can anyone recommend a good RGB scart for £30 to 50 max? Also to hook my Sky+ up to the Tosh RDXS32 for loopthrough to TV & recording what kind of scart do I need (guess it has to handle auio & video?)...and again are there any recommended scarts out there for this? I have Sky+ audio connected to amp with optical lead but thinking about recording. Also can I use the RGB scart from DVD to TV for watching both TV & DVD's or do I need two scarts from from DVD recorder?

8. Chaucer

Chaucer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Strictly speaking not all Component is the same. Any of the versions of RGB are full bandwidth signals. YUV is a broadcast quality signal that is derived from RGB using some fancy maths to save bandwidth. The sync information is included with the luminance information on the Y channel, the U and V are colour difference channels in other words Red - Y and Blue -Y. As these two values are known as is the value of Y, is it is possible to reconstruct the G-Y without actually transmitting it.

It is accepted that the best quality component signal is RGBHV it is full bandwidth and it has separate Horizontal and Vertical syncs. This makes for a much more stable picture, and is why computers use this format VGA or UXGA it is all RGBHV. :lesson:

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Chaucer is correct, but looking at it from a pratical perspective RGB from DVD (or even RGBHV) does not give any advantage over the YUV connection as the picture information itself is already stored in the "inferior" YUV format.

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The Thor scart lead should suitable and forum sponsor TV Cables are selling this at a special price of £17.98 here and that is a considerable saving on the MRP.

Assuming that your DVD recorder has two scarts I would connect the Sky Plus box to the DVD recorder and a further scart from the recorder to the TV meaning that by daisychaining them together you will be using an RGB output on both.

11. probeski

probeski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reiner, can you please exlplain in your last comment in more detail, i understand most of this thread but not your last post. :blush:

12. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The YUV color space is limited compared to RGB, so while RGB(HV) can give a better quality than YUV this does not apply to home cinema since the source material (DVD) is available in YUV only.
    You can convert it, lossless even, to RGB but it won't improve the picture quality.

Maybe the following analogy helps: S-Video is better than composite, but the quality of a composite signal that has been up-converted to S-Video does not improve.