RGB/Video IN

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by apreading, Sep 16, 2004.

1. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    On my Panny E85, if I set AV2 input to RGB and feed it a non RGB signal, the picture screws up, however if I set it to 'video' and feed it either an RGB or normal signal it is fine.

If I set it to 'video' and feed it RGB is this as good as actually setting it to RGB through the menus? Surely it is still receiving an RGB signal so provided it can display it OK then it must be selecting RGB even though I have not explicitly set this?

Reason I ask is that I have a combo DVD/VCR feeding it, but while the DVD outputs RGB, the VCR and tuner do not - so do I have to keep toggling the option on the E85 depending on whether I am recording from DVD or VCR - or can I just leave the input set to video and benefit from which ever signal is sent to it?

Hope this makes sense - if not I will try again to clarify...

2. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    just bumping this because its an issue thats bugging me (cr***y manual!) and I am sure there must be a techie on here who knows...

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    AFAIK a scart lead will carry RGB & composite video at the same time. If you set the recorder to look for RGB and it is not there then it will ignore the composite signal and therefore not receive a proper feed.

Now the next bit all depends on the way the recorder has been made and could be either of the following:
    1. If you send the recorder RGB it will also be receiving composite but the recorder will ignore the RGB and just record the composite video signal.
    2. The software of the recorder is well written and when receiving an RGB signal it automatically detects it and therefore records it.

Not much help there then!

So, what I suggest you do, having checked the manual and found nothing in there, is make 2 recordings from the combo. First set the recorder to RGB and then to Video. Play both recordings and see if you notice any difference in the PQ. If none is detected then the answer is option '2' above. If there is a fairly obvious difference then the answer is option '1'.

Probably not the easy answer you were after, but should at least give you the option to find out what the recorder is doing.
    Of course, if somebody has already done the investigation or just happens to know they could always post the answer and save you some time & effort!

Mark.

4. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yeah - I guess the answer is if I cannot see a difference then there isnt one...

Useful info about scart carrying RGB and composite at the same time - that was what I wasnt sure about, and why it might still display correctly. If this is the case though, what is the point configuring an output to RGB or composite? Surely it would make sense to always send both?

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think the probelm is that RGB shares some conductors with s-video. I have 2 scart input diagrams with the following - format of list is: Pin no. - RGB capable / s-video capable (relevant pins only mentioned):
    5 - Blue ground / not used
    7 - Blue input / not used
    9 - Green ground / not used
    11 - Green input / not used
    13 - Red ground / s-vid chrominance ground
    15 - Red input / s-vid chrominance input
    17 - Comp. vid output ground / comp. vid output ground
    18 - Comp. vid input ground / comp. vid OR s-video luminance input ground
    19 - Comp. vid output / comp. vid output
    20 - Comp. vid input / comp. vid OR s-video luminance input

So there are some clashes on pins 15,18, 20. As most (all) recent DVD recorders are s-video capable on inputs and outputs you have to avoid the clashes. Without knowing the socketry and output options of the DVD/VCR in is difficult to know where the conflict is.
    If the DVD/VCR has only one scart output with an RGB option, then I would expect it to output the VCR playback and the tuner output converted to RGB, albeit at composite video quality.
    So when you say "but while the DVD outputs RGB, the VCR and tuner do not" do you mean the signal disappears when the E85 is on RGB and the combo is playing VCR or set to tuner?

6. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yeah, the signal actually breaks up and goes really screwy with colour shift and picture breakup when the input on the E85 is set to RGB and the video or tuner is playing on the source combo.

Will do some testng tonight to see if the E85 is clever enough to detect an RGB signal even when set to Video - you would think it should be. I dont have to set my tele - it does it automatically.

7. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    What output options does the combo have?
    Here's another idea. If you have your units 'daisy chaining' the TV aerial, can you arrange the chain so that you use the RF output of the combo for tapes and its scart for DVDs? You'd have to tune an E85 tuner channel to the combo RF output. The quality loss from VHS playback through a modulator should be almost negligible.