RGB via SCARt kills RF

roadtorode

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am trying to help a mate with a crappy old Matsui square screen TV. It has a single scart socket which, according to the display is RGB. In fact, it is RGB only - stick a composite signal into it and there is no joy...

Anyway, whenever I connect either the SKY box, or a Marantz DVD player via the scart socket, the picture from the RF signal disappears (sound stays, picture goes black), and the only fix is to unplug the scart-connected device.

So, what is going wrong ? Why does this TV have a single RGB (only) scart socket that can't effectively be used !!??

Thanks

There is a pin on the scart plug which handles switching (it changes the screen format on Widescreen sets too). If this pin (I think it's pin 8) has a voltage on it, the screen will automatically switch to it. You can switch off scart switching via the Sky box set up (in picture settings), not sure about the DVD, does switching the DVD off make no difference ?

Hi
It doesnt sound like anything to do with pin 8 if the picture is blank, and still sound!
Some one else may post with a solution, but there are very few things which a ordinary chap can do inside the TV.
Nigel

roadtorode said:
I am trying to help a mate with a crappy old Matsui square screen TV. It has a single scart socket which, according to the display is RGB. In fact, it is RGB only - stick a composite signal into it and there is no joy...

Anyway, whenever I connect either the SKY box, or a Marantz DVD player via the scart socket, the picture from the RF signal disappears (sound stays, picture goes black), and the only fix is to unplug the scart-connected device.

So, what is going wrong ? Why does this TV have a single RGB (only) scart socket that can't effectively be used !!??

Thanks

If you have the original remote control for the TV there may be a button on it which should toggle pin8 scart switching on or off. i.e. a button marked "AV" or maybe "Mon"............I have come across some cheap designs which do not release this switching signal and the only way to do it is to remove the scart plug or cut the connection on pin8 within the scart plug.

Sounds like my problem - pullk the scart and away it goes - it is an old Matsui after all ! Given that they are happy to watch Sky over RF (lets face it, the Matsui picture isn't too good anyway), I have put the DVD onto composite via AV2 (although curiously that wouldn't work into the scart either) and they are up and running. Next challenge is to convince them to buy a proper TV set !

I believe the cause of the problem is that early TVs (or asian-made) with RGB inputs feed the RGB signal directly to the CRT, bypassing most of the electronics, thus as long as an RGB signal is present, the RF circuitry is cut off...you need to switch the RGB source device OFF or STANDBY for RF to work. I have almost the same problem with my trusty Samsung WS TV and I belive there is no cure for this...just live with it!

Hi
Quote "via the scart socket, the picture from the RF signal disappears (sound stays, picture goes black)"

The OP states the picture goes black, so the problem has nothing to do with selecting AV.
I think you all should read the post again.

Nigel

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom