rgb --> vga or rgb --> s-vid??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by ddaddy, Nov 27, 2002.

1. ddaddy

ddaddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    looking at the gear on john sim's site, i need to decide wether to go for rgb to vga or rgb to svid converter for a pana plasma.

I want to use my pc through it also, so if i get the rgb to vga, id also have to buy a vga switching unit.

Any views welcome.

cheers

2. d_devani

d_devani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might find the RGB to Component (J Simm) to be better then the s-video option, and this also leaves the vga connection free for your computer...

3. ddaddy

ddaddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I will be using the component for my dvd player. However, ive just realised that my pc has got an svid tv output on it, so i could use this for my pc, component for dvd and vga for all other rgb gear.

Anyone used tv out from pc to plasma? Quality any good? I know tv out to tv is normally crap.

cheers

4. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    While you can use your computer with the screen, it's not really as good as having a dedicated monitor. Resolution of monitors is higher, I feel give a better human interface than plasmas. Where a PC to plasma really does score is if you doing presentations or playing games (because of the size), but for internet and text processing, probably best to use a monitor.

All the best,

John.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    On topic of pc s-vid out, you'd be 6 million times better off with vga switching IMHO, the hassle factor of TV out is more than any other part of HCPC's. VGA, you press a button and there it is. Quality must be better, there's more data there. Pleased with my RGB to VGA solution, sorry John it's not yours, but I'm sure yours is just as good! It's minimum loss of data from the original signal. S-Video just leaves some out, and no display can put it back.

6. ddaddy

ddaddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks.

MAW, whats your RGB to VGA solution?

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Keene synchblaster, all the electronics are in the plug, v. neat. Looks good too, only occasional fault is the picture sometimes offsets itself to the right, when you turn on, not during. This is cured by turning the stb off, then back on.

8. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You've got to turn the STB off and on again just to get the picture in the right place? Never heard of that before, certainly not with my RGB to Plasma VGA unit. Very strange.

All the best,

John.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Not always, it happens sometimes whe I change channels, I think when it goes from a 4:3 channel like boomerang to a widescreen channel, but I can't be sure. Anyway, I don't have to get my butt out of the chair to fix it, so it's no big deal. once a week or so is all.