1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rgb-vga or rgb-component

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by thxultra, Mar 14, 2003.

1. thxultra

thxultra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i'm going to buy one of these boxs from js tech and was wondering if anyone has seen both in action and if so which one gives the better quality picture.seems to be most people go for the vga is their a reason for this?
    its to connect an ondigital box to a panny5 plasma

2. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Thx Ultra
    I haven`t tried the js converters but I have got both the csy converters into a Panny 3 50". I would say the vga gave a slightly better pq, the component was very slightly softer but it is very very close.The only drawback for me with vga is losing the adjustments for cinema, sharpness, colour, etc that you can use on component so that is my preferred choice. Hope that helps.:)

3. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Which should you opt for? Component or Plasma VGA?

Well, it depends on your system. Both give excellent picture quality, with Plasma VGA just (just) sharper. But if you've got a component video switching amplifier you may want to have this as your central hub for going between all your sources. You also have the intermediate "just" zoom mode where the sides of a 4:3 picture are pulled out to fill the 16:9 screen.

Plasma VGA route has the advantage that you're using an input to your screen that isn't typically used in a home-cinema. It does give you the best picture, but you won't have "just" zoom mode.

I've got Sky connected via the Plasma VGA and my R1 DVD player in via component, although I do change my system around quite a bit for testing. During the week I visited a friend who's using the component converter to connect from Sky to his Sony '10 projector - gave an absolutly superb picture.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

4. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Opps, hit reply button twice....

5. mambasna

mambasna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    here's my tupence worth :
    Sony PS2 into component input of my panny 42pw5 and Sky scart via JS technology's RGB to VGA convertor into the VGA input. The latter is miiiiiiiiiles better then the componant input which looks very jagged, especially noticable on diagonal straight and curved edges. The RGB to VGA convertor even at £125 is worth every penny, thanks JS

6. masterofimages

masterofimages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Should have got a Pioneer - then you would have all the zoom modes available on the VGA input :p

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    We have both boxes on displays, you could waste a lot of your life deciding which is best. John's right, choose according to your convenience, if you've got an x-box or pc for games, go component, otherwise VGA will probably be best, leaving progressive component for that DVD you've always promised yourself...