RGB > VGA Convertor

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by nheather, Nov 7, 2004.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,945
    Going to be buying a Pany PW7 very soon. All of my sources are SCART RGB and I will switch these through a Quintro.

I have read it is better to process these through a JS RGB>VGA convertor. Since most of the deals I have seen come without a terminal board it looks like I would be best not bothering with a SCART terminal board at all and buying a JS Convertor instead.

Does this make sound sense ?

Is there anything I should be aware of if I go this route ?

I'm already aware that I couldn't use a composite source (e.g. camera)

I've also read that I would lose support for switching but I'm not really sure what it means and how important it is.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I don't think switching is that important - but if you find that it really bugs you you can buy a device (bout £70 IIRC) that does it for u (when using VGA).

The only downside of not having a board at all is that if you /do/ buy a device that needs to be configured before you use it (i.e. it doesn't output RGB as default) then you'll be snookered - as the VGA convertor will only pass through an RGB signal. The VGA input on the PW7 doesn't take component either - so you also can't configure any device that outputs component (PYbYr) as default either.

IMHO it's worth buying the PW7 from a reputable dealer (av-sales spring to mind) who sell the panel with a "free" input board.

ZedZed