1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB versus S-video

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sparkybun, Oct 28, 2003.

1. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi all,

Has anybody got a definitive example of the S-video versus RGB debate on the DVD recorders, i.e. has anybody recorded on their machines first with RGB in and then s-video and can actually see a difference. Is there a disk that anyone has got that shows this difference - OR is it just subjective?

It helps to make a decision on the Panny versus Pioneer at the moment.

cheers

Mel

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    There is a difference - quite a substantial one - but as to which is better then it's entirely subjective. On my setup RGB is better (in my opinion): Sky+ > Panasonic HS2 > Hitachi 42"

Psoting screenshots really won't help you make a decision because you need to see the machines in action and any screenshot posted would be digitally processed anyway (by conversion to a JPEG). Try to go to a Panasonic shop or one that sells the Pioneers and view the machines before purchase.

3. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Rasczak,

Thanks for your ever prompt response. What i was trying to get is do you for example have a dvd-r that is recorded from RGB and one that is recorded from s-video that could be viewed. I would obviously re-imburse any costs incurred in this exercise. As far as going to a Panasonic shop....... well I wouldn't be buying from them and I don't want to really waste their time (I don't want to waste yours either come to that!!).

I have always played DVD's back on s-video from my PIO dvd player and it was very good, better than RGB in my opinion.

Thanks

Mel

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Yes I can do that if you like. I'll record something off Sky+ in XP mode in RGB and then do the same programme again for S-Video. Obviously it won't account for how good (or bad) the Pioneer may be at handling S-Video but the Panny is competent at it and I'm sure the Pioneer will be equal (give their track record).

Can you PM me (or e-mail) your name and address and I'll pop it in the post tomorrow. No re-imbursement necessary.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Ok done! You have no idea how much hastle that was - I forgot that I changed my cables a couple of months back to RGB only ones so had to re-wire everything!

Anyway I have recorded 30 minutes of material directly onto a DVD-R: 10 mins from an ITV show recorded on Sky+ (a terrible, artifact ridden transmission - but good for analysis) and 5 mins from live BBC News 24 (good for seeing effect on solid blocks of colour as seen on the title bar). Obviously each recording is done for RGB and S-Video. All labelled as such on the disk.

So all I need now is your address. E-mail to rasczak@btinternet.com Probably best to e-mail me rather than PM as I won't be dropping by the forum that often in future.

6. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I would have loved to see such a DVD-R also. I am also swithering between the Pioneer and the Panasonic to go along with my Sky+ box. Any chance it could be passed onto me afterwards?

However one question I do have is to do with automatic widescreen switching. Will either or both methods of recording give me the correct aspect ratio automatically on playback?

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    I'm sure Sparkybun will pass it on. I'd do you another copy but the PC is busy this evening and I've already sealed up the enevlope with the disk in and the recording isn't on the HDD of the HS2 (because I recorded directly onto DVD-R).

8. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hopefully, thanks. Sparkybun - would you do that if I e-mail you my address?

Can anybody help with the WSS question?

9. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    jem,

PM me with your address and I'll pass it on after I've finished.

Thanks enormously Rasczak!!

Cheers

Mel

10. Skid Solo

Skid Solo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did think about a similar test, in as much as viewing a pre-recorded DVD through both S-video and RGB. I always use RGB and have never tried s-video outpout from DVD player to TV.

Would this be a valid test ? It won't show the difference in quality for a recorded item, but would demonstrate the output from a DVD Recorder to my TV, plainly if the s-video output is poor then s-video is not the way to go.

I am struggling with the choice between dr-m1 or Panasonic, I really want -RW & RGB

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Not really. For one thing the S-Video picture on Sky could be totally different from the S-Video output on your DVD player - dozens of factors can affect quality in such a way especially if you need to factor in an RGB>S-Video conversion.

The Sony GX3 does both. What's wrong with that?

12. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    Was it something we said? :confused:

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    No. I'm moving to Japan for 6 months (ish). I don't think I'll either have the time/connection to access the internet.

14. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    You won't be able to stay away the full six months old chap- there are too many format wars to fight- and your posts have never been from a "stand on the sidelines" perspective have they? :D

15. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Well indeed. I should think by the time I get back the whole home elctronics market will be in chaos: I mean currently we have DVD plus versus minus, DVD-A v SACD, MPEG4 v DivX, half a dozen momeory card types and just as many BluRay formats on the way. Not to mention the question of how HD-DVD will be released (wmv, BluRay etc).

:devil: No point sitting on the fence - where's the fun in that?

16. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    For me it's no use because I want a HDD, but would have preferred the -/+ RW option rather than RAM.

Is the auto WSS recorded from RGB or S-Video or neither?