1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB variants & YPrPb compatibility?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by probeski, Aug 7, 2004.

1. probeski

probeski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly can you please answer these 1st couple of questions and then lastly the main one.
    1) Can you tell me if analogue video cables are restricted up to a certain vertical resoltion or can they do output 720p 1080i like DVI can? I know there are many variants but i would appreciate if you'd tell me which ones are limited.

2) Is it true that YCrCb fed to a plasma will give a heavily tinted picture (syncblaster.com) and you actually need YPrPb? I'm guessing that most (non-scart) xbox's would use YCrCb and so this would not ne ideal, is this true?

3) Finally and most importantly, I want to feed Foxtel Digital's (Australia) Scart RGB and another free to air HD STB with either YPrPb or RGBHV outputs into a scart AV selector. From the selector i can either output an RGsB or RGBS signal into the RCA inputs of the Sweetspot video card (HTPC). Can you tell me if the different signals will be recognised / converted successfully by the selector (which is the best one?) and recommend which signal types i should use for best compatibility and performance (of upmost importance)? The Foxtel RGB is a scart only (without an extra RCA for sync) so i'm guessing it's RGsB, but I'm not sure so please confirm this (I will find out if necessary). Hopefully someone will provide the advice i need regarding all the variations of signal type and connectivity, thanks.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    probeski

01. Cables do have bandwidth limitations and whilst most cables will 'transmit' the 720P and 1080i signals your contemplating the choice of cable can and will have a detrimental affect on the transmitted video signal.

02. Plenty of cable manufacturers have Cables that are proven to carry the 720P and 1080i signals with little or no signal degradation - I supply the BetterCables range; see http://www.bettercables.com; and others on the Forums have their favoured brands (see Sponsors and Advertiser links at the top of the page).

03. YPbPr and YCbCr Component Video - haven't come across this issue so far I have to say.

I guess if your very worried look out for a Display that lists both signal type's in its Compatibility chart.

04. RGB Switcher - if your Capture Card can work with both signal types then really you want a 'passive' selector that is signal type independent.

I use and supply the Zektor HDS4 which sounds ideal for your requirements - see http://www.zektor.com

If you contact Zektor I'm sure they can point you at a more 'local' supplier :) or we can quote you for UPS!!!

Best regards

Joe

3. probeski

probeski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) I was wondering why the PMS video PDI card (AKA Sweetspot) says on it's site that that it only supports 480i (NTSC) and 576i (PAL). If Analog Video Inputs such as Component, RGB, RGBS, S-Video and Composite can support 720P for example, then why does it say otherwise?
    2) My display will be a Plasma which is progressive only and so i just hope that the picture will be heavily tinted if i decide to hook up components (which i'm guessing would be YCbCr - interlaced only) from an Xbox. It's weird that Syncblaster.com mentions this and yet you havn't encountered it.
    3) The Zector accepts component (RCA) and i would prefer to keep the Selector having scart connections and then a scart to RGBS (RCA Type) cable to the Sweetspot, that way i might be able to take advantage of RGB from Foxtel and the STB. I just want to know if there is a Scart Selector that converts the different variants of RGB and wha cables are best suited.

4. probeski

probeski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think question #1 is more to do with the hardware limitation of the Sweetspot and not the video cable connection so you can skip responding to this if this is correct.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello Probeski

01. I'm guessing the Sweetspot is an SD capture card and not able to capture the HD (720P and 1080i) signals your interested in - go to the 'Progressive Scan' Forum and you'll find a couple of Sweetspot ends users and resellers who will help you more than I can on this product.

02. Its only YUV and RGB Component that manage 720P and 1080i.

03. I don't supply the Sync Blaster RGB converters we supply the JS Technology RGB to S-Video, VGA and YUV converters and have never had this problem.

04. Zektor - I don't see the problem. The Zektor is a FIVE Input per Channel switcher that has no idea what signal its switching - all you require are SCART to RCA Breakout cables on the Inputs and a 5 RCA to (whatever) cable on the Output; its then up to your Capture Card to react to RGBHV, RGB+C and RGsB.

05. A SCART Switcher is a SCART switcher - a Video Standards Transcoder is a Video Standards Transcoder that may also have multiple Video Inputs; though doubtful it would have SCART Inputs as they are not Universal Input Sockets (not used in the US) so your target market would be very limited if it were SCART only.

When your planning on using a Capture device like the Sweetspot you don't really want to be messing about with the signal too much before it gets to the Capture card - the 'cleaner' the Input signal the more chance the card has of enhancing the video image.

06. RGB to Sweetspot - it looks like the Sweetspot accepts SCART RGB on Three RCA + One Composite Sync (on S-Video Input 01).

If you did use the Zektor you would require 3 x RCA to RCA cables + 1 x RCA to S-Video to connect to the Sweetspot capture card.

Trust this helps.

Best regards

Joe

6. probeski

probeski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help; I never knew about this device. Lastly, can you recommend some cables brands. Is the SweetSpot RGBS Scart Cable (1.5m Van Damme) okay? I also still need a Scart to 3XRCA and also a YPrPb
    cable. Are there better options for around that £45.83 price range per cable?
    Should i spend more on the Scarts or the YPrPb, any advice is welcome. Thanks.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello probeski

01. Zektor - yes I need to up the advertising budget ;)

02. VanDamme - the VanDamme Red Series cables are a 'reference' cable for a lot of us in the trade.

The cables can be custom manufactured to any length and pretty much any connector configuration you like (within the technical limitations of any connector/signal type).

03. Cable plan - I'd specify/supply VanDamme Red Series cable for both SCART RGB and RCA YUV cables in this instance.

You don't want a decent cable on just half of your signal path - if you did then the whole signal path would be compromised.

Drop me a note if you need more detailed information.

Best regards

Joe

8. probeski

probeski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, but can you please explain exactly how to connect everything in more detail?

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    probeski

So:

YUV sources - connect Three lines (Y,Pb,Pr) into Three RCA sockets on any Input on the HDS4.

SCART RGB sources - connect Four lines (RGB+C) into Four RCA sockets on any Input on the HDS4.

HDS4 - connect Four lines from the RCA Output sockets to Three RCA + One S-Video Input socket on the PDI (Sweetspot) card.

You can now select whatever Input you want on the HDS4 and either the PDI card will auto detect YUV or RGB+C or you will need to tell it to go look for YUV or RGB+C - as before I don't know the workings of the PDI card so cant say if its auto or manual selection of the Input type.

There is no signal conversion required or involved in the pre switching via the HDS4 and you don't want to anyway - the PDI card will have dedicated circuitry for YUV and RGB+C so don't mess with the signals ahead of the PDI card if possible.

Best regards

Joe

10. probeski

probeski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help, i've actually decided to scrap the sweetspot idea. Anyway i'm obviously still learning and you've been informative; this info might be applied elsewhere. :rotfl: :D :rotfl: