RGB v S- Video

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gthull644, Jun 26, 2002.

1. gthull644

gthull644

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a problem (that is surely fairly common) in that with a recent purchase of a DVD player I have 2 devices capable of RGB output, the other being a Sky Digibox, and only 1 RGB input on my TV.

I was going to use a SCART switching box to plug both devices into the SCART input, but is this the best option? How much better will the RGB output be over V-S on DVD?

I do not want to switch to PAL from my Sky box as this is noticbly inferior.

Any advice would be welcome before I buy all the cabling.

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    RGB is greatly superior to S-vid when using decent cables. If someone is not using decent cables then there's not much point in them wanting their picture to look as great as it can.

A suitable, well built adaptor from somewhere like http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/ or http://www.keene.co.uk/ or http://www.beyondhifi.net/ may not be the purist's solution, but they are effective and don't have a devastating effect on picture quality.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but not always. In theory, RGB is superior. But in practice, it depends on the television's defaults and whether you can adjust them. For example, on a JVC AV28R25 that I used to have, it had awful defaults for RGB and you couldn't adjust them - not even in the service menu :mad: The picture was so dull on RGB (lacking contast) I had no choice but to use S-Video until they came to take it away and give me a refund ;) I suspect that it also depends on the defaults that your source (e.g. DVD player) outputs too.

4. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was expecting this reply.

It doesn't take away from the fact that RGB is better than S-vid. If it wasn't Mr God, you'd probably have been happy to stick with the TV and use S-V.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No it doesn't - quite right Pointy. RGB is superior.

I just made the above point because, if gthull644 has a similar problem to what I had with RGB, then there's little point in him splashing out the dosh on a switch box. It sounds like he hasn't even tested the RGB output yet on his TV to see what it looks like. I'd definitely do that first .. just in case....

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you can adjust the color settings when using the RGB input you can assume (well, be sure actually) that the TV will down-convert to S-Video or Component and then up-convert again.
    In that case you may also just use S-Video.
    If there are no controls active when using RGB the signal will go directly to the picture tube and it should give you the best picture.

7. Marky Mark

Marky Mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any chance of you guys answering the original query ??

I to have the same problem with a dvd and digibox but only 1 RGB capable scart on my TV (sony 28FX65).

I would add that the RGB output from both my digibox and DVD is excellent on my TV (not dark at all with real good colour definition)but I am getting a little fed up with having to swap the scartleads each time I want to watch somthing !!!

Any help would be appreciated.

8. gthull644

gthull644

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys.

Mark, someone suggested using the SCART pass through on the Digibox, the one normally used for the VCR. It seems to work OK though I havn't compared it with a straight connection.

9. Marky Mark

Marky Mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info gthull644, could you please explain though ?

Do I need to make some setting adjustments on the digibox ?

Or just connect up the DVD scart to the Vid Scart on the digibox and then digibox output to AV1 on TV ?

What happens if both DVD and digibox are playing at the same time ?

Thanks

10. gthull644

gthull644

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thats right. When you switch the DVD on the Scart switches to the DVD (similar to VCR switching). You will have to use co-ax to provide an input to the VCR.

11. Marky Mark

Marky Mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks gthull644, I'll try this method tonight.