RGB v composite from NTL

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by taimur, Sep 1, 2003.

1. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In preparation for a display upgrade, I checked my NTL digital box to make sure that it could output RGB as well as composite.

I have two NTL boxes; one has the option of outputting composite and S-video, and the other has the option of outputting composite and RGB.... very strange. Both boxes look exactly the same.

In the one that can output RGB I selected the RGB option for image output. A scart lead from this NTL box leads to the composite input on my Rotel receiver. When I chose RGB as the output type, I could still see the image as it was before..... very strange again.

Can anyone explain this? I aim to convert the scart RGB output from the NTL box to component or VGA, and I hope I'll be able to do this.

Thanks.

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yes I can explain this. Some NTL set top boxes output S-Video or Composite (selectable in the menu), and some output RGB + Composite or just Composite (selectable in the menu). RGB scart uses the composite video signal for sync, composite video is still being output when at the same time when you select RGB on the box. If the recieving end doesn't have the RGB pins connected then you'll just get a composite picture.

3. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the explanation!

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Doing the same for the s-video box will give yu a B/W image. Also confusing. The s-video output is not too bad. The RGB will be fine a converted VGA or component.