Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

RGB to VGA or component?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by John Watts, Apr 19, 2003.

1. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi all,

I have just bought a Sanyo plv-z1 and have been using the composite cable supplied.

I am mow looking at sorting this out and want a bit of advice on my best options.
    I need to convert 2 RGB (sky and dvd player) into component or should i convert them into VGA ?

I suppose i would be best to convert to component then that leaves the VGA input free for my PC.

Obviously the box would have to have 2 junctions for both scarts so any ideas would be gratefully recieved or do any of you have better suggestions?

Cheers,John.

2. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    You don't have to convert to VGA as the Z1 can take RGB direct through the VGA connector. An RGB Scart to VGA cable with sync on composite is all that is needed and selecting scart in the video menu. It was described here

(edit) Ah that would use up the VGA for your computer...another switch box and it starts to get messy:thumbsdow

3. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    OK so what about a 2 junction scart to component? do any of you know who sells these or do any of you have one for sale?
    Cheers,
    John.

4. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I'm trying to connect 3 RGB sources to my Z1 and wish there was an easy and cheap way to do it.

I haven't yet found any component converter boxes that have two scart connectors. You would still need something like the Quintro or Argos RGB switcher before the convertor.

Another way would be if the DVD player does S-video, then you could connect it to the PJ's S-video input (I have the DVD connected this way at the mo. and the picture is pretty good). Leaving the component sockets free to connect the Sky box via a JStech, CYP or Keene conversion box.

What's you budget for this?

I've not decided yet which way I'm going to do it but the prices I've found are:

The Argos box £10
    Quintro £70
    RGB - comp Convertor £90 - £140 ish
    RGB to S-video £50 - £75 ish
    Cables £????

I haven't got Sky, just Freeview so was also thinking about the option of building a dedicated HTPC.

5. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi John
    I'm using the RGB loop through of the SKY box to route my DVD player into my projector. Switch the DVD player on and off to switch signal. I know its not ideal but it probably as good as using a cheap switcher. I don't have RGB loop through on my DVD player but if you have this option route the SKY box signal through the DVD player.