rgb to vga converter

ddaddy

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have read through a lot of posts on this forum today as im thinking ofgetting myself a pan v5. What im after is some info on these rgb to vga converter boxes. Do thy just convert 1 source meaning i have to buy one for everything i want to connect up, or do they have multiple inputs and act like a switch? Also, do they have a through connector for vga, so i can plug my pc into the screen without having to unplug the box first from the screen and plugging pc in.

cheers

ddaddy - I have just got one and am very pleased with it. Before you consider an RGB to VGA converter or anything else, you need to consider all the sources you want to display to find out what hardware you will need.

As I have said before in other posts, the Panasonic BNC input board gives great flexibility at just over £200. You can then connect almost any source without the necessity for additional hardware and superb quality. As I and others have found out, using other solutions can give rise to many other problems including lip-sync. Reading round the various posts on this forum will give you an idea.

Hope this is useful.

Ddaddy

The RGB converters only have one input; normally where you have a requirements for multiple inputs you would use an external SCART RGB switch such as the B-Tech BT-491 Quattro+. This unit enables you to cascade up to three RGB sources into a single RGB converter with no signal degradation.

Joe

I have the Sims VGA Converter and use my Pace Sky as Loop thru to the coverter so I am getting playback and Sky via VGA

It works like a charm, what I want is a connector that will allow me to have 2 VGA Connections into one.

so I can have my PC hooked up all the time instead of swapping VGA leads all the time

any-one know of such a connector/adaptor

Party Animal

We tend to use the Kramer 'Tools' range for low cost VGA (RGBHV) switching.

The VP-201 (£89+vat) is a passive 2:1 manual VGA switch and the VP-211 (£109+vat) is a powered 2:1 auto switch with priority on input 1.

If you want something with a little more bandwidth you can go up to the VP-31 (£229+vat) powered 3:1 manual switch.

Best regards

Joe

Was going to post about VGA switches, but Joe has got that covered! It's quite a simple way of sharing the one input with your PC and you shouldn't be concerned about any losses in quality with such units.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

Hi,

I currently have a JS RGB -S video for my DVD & STB to my 433MXE.

Both pictures look pretty impressive already. However I am aware that I could improve picture quality.

I am loathe to spend fortune on an RGB componemnt Box, but was considering whhether to buy anothe JS box (perhasp RGB to VGA) or a RGB scart switch box.

I guess it would be almost cheaper (and better quality) to opt for the RGB to VGA option? And use the RGB to S video for cable until such time as i invest in a progessive scan (PAL/NTSC) DVD player.

Yet more expense.....

Adrian

right, ive been thinking about this for a week now and its really starting to confuse me.

I want my wires to my plasma in the wall, so I have one chance of getting it right.

The way i see to do it now is to buy the Panasonic Tuner Box for £390, this would need 1 wire to the plasma and i can unplug/plugin anything i want and change things about as much as i want, all from the back of the tuner box.

I can still use component for my dvd player straight to the plasma and also put a vga cable in the wall for my laptop.

Is this correct? can i use the tuner box, component and vga together?

Also, how long is the lead thats supplied with the tuner box? (Assuming it comes with one).

cheers

Originally posted by ddaddy

I want my wires to my plasma in the wall, so I have one chance of getting it right.

No! Put a tube in your wall, and run the cables in the tube. See my other thread on this. It allows you to add to your system at a later date.

It also allows you to run direct links to your screen. And this is always a good idea. Some will require interfaces, but that's not a big problem. Component can go direct from the DVD player to the screen. Sky (Digital TV etc) can go to the VGA PC input via an RGB to Plasma VGA unit. A simple switch box can be used to share this input with the PC if you wish. And you've still got the S-Video/Video input free for your VCR.

My understanding is that you can't use the tuner box and VGA input concurrently. Hence, you may find yourself better off with the above suggestion.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom