1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB to S-Video Converter, Where to Connect It?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Kevo, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I have an NTL Cable Digi STB and Tosh RP TV 40WH08B

The STB has two SCARTs, TV & AUX

I use the TV SCART for RGB input on my TV.
    At the moment I am using the Aux SCART to my S-VHS VCR.
    It records in composite mode.

I was hoping to add an RGB to S-Video Convert via the Aux SCART, but the manual says it is Composite in/out and RGB in only.
    What's the difference between RGB in/out on a SCART socket?
    I was under the impression that all the R, G & B pins were both in and out.

I have tried connecting from the Aux SCART to my TV (AV1) and it defaults to Composite mode, even though the STB is set to RGB.

So, now i'm not too sure whether to purchase the converter, as I have nowhere to connect it!

Has anybody else used one of these converters with Cable TV and still have RGB through the TV?

What other alternatives do I have?
    I want to avoid another SCART switch box if I can.

My TV does not have S-video ouput, only composite I think.

When will maunfactures of TVs & STBs make it easier to hook up to RGB and S-Video equipment??

Why are we forced to purchase extra switch boxes & converters?

It's so annoying :mad:

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Do any of these converters have RGB Pass thru?
    That way I could use it on the TV SCART on the STB.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Haven't quite worked out what youare trying to do but here's the answer to the enquiry about difference between RGBin/out

As you say, the RGB pins are wired direct to each other in a scart so they are bi-directional. However RGB signals also need a sync signal so that the TV knows when to start drawing lines. The sync is carried on the Composite signal. Composite is wired pin 19 (video out) to pin20 (video in). So it is directional...

Gordon

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Ok I get you : You want the best of both worlds: record in true s-video to svhs and watch digital TV in RGB.

You can do both but unfortunately not at the same time.
    Again unfortunately you need a switch box or a powered RGB passthrough ( a distribution box in fact).

I cannot help you with the first one although I heard a rumour that John Simm (sp) was going to make one to work with his rgb to s-video convertor ( one of which I use)

Here's what I do ( you may not like this judging by your initial post). I feed the RGB output of the digibox into a two way scart data switch box which allows me to send RGB either direct to the TV or to an RGB to s-video convertor in turn hooked up to my svhs vcr. If I want to record digital TV in s-video I can only choose to monitor it on the TV via s-video out from the vcr or watch bog standard analogue if there is something else on I want to see. ( or watch dvd or play PS2 both in RGB see below)

The scart data-switch boxes I use are from lektropacks and were about 30quid a pop last time I checked ( they are well shielded and work in both directions one into two branch or two into one branch) I've got another one I use to switch my PS2 RGB input with the digibox .

Using these two boxes and the pass through in my dvd player ( always buy the ones with two scarts) I can either watch a dvd or play a PS2 whilst recording from the digibox in real s-video via the convertor.

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Thanks

I thought I might have to use another switch box. I have a spare one, a 3-way RGB one which should do the trick.

Cheers