1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rgb To S-video/composite Converter

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by micks_address, Sep 16, 2003.

Tags:
  1. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Hi folks,

I need something like this

http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/product/technical.asp?dept_id=103&sku=207

to convert the rgb signal from my vcr's scart socket so that i can send it to the s-video connection on my Sony projector. I think this product will do the trick.. Thing is i'd like a cheaper solution. Anyone come across a product that does the conversion from rgb scart (which i'm assuming my vcr is outputting - can't find manul its a mitubishi black diamond) to s-video.

I have a simple adapter at home which plugs into the scart socket and has an s-video connection but the resultant picture is in black and white. Any ideas appreciated

Thanks,
    Mick

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be very surprised if your VCR had an RGB output, just because it's got a scart doesn't mean it has RGB.

The reason you get black and white is probably because you are not outputting S-Video. Only S-VHS VCRs are capable of this.

The best you can expect from a bog standard VCR is Composite output.

This is just my view of course, I could be totally wrong!

Dave

3. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    so what your saying is that i need a composite to s-video convertor?

http://www.keene.co.uk/system/keene.htm

link doesn't go to the product but the product code is STOC

will something like the link above work - if i feed the composite from the vcr to that will the s-video the other side then be in colour?

i want to use the s-video cable as it will avoid running another cable to the pj....

Cheers.,
    Mick

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The converter will work, but it will not improve the picture. It will still just be a composite signal, but sent as a compatable signal for S-Video.
    If as you say it is just to prevent you running another cable to the PJ then it will do the job and give a colour picture.

Mark.

5. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Thanks Mark,

I ordered it from Keene so hopefully i'll have it by the end of the week. I have enough cables running through the place already. My other half wouldn't welcome another one. I'm not overly fused about picture quality as i'll just be using it to view some Terrestrial channels via rf feed.

Cheers,
    Mick