1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rgb to projector ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by adrianh, Jan 9, 2001.

1. adrianh

adrianh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Gordon has pretty much said it.

I was faced with the same problem, and hacked about a scart lead until, i found and sync signal within the composite sync, however i also required a sync seperator and amplifier to boast the signal. This required an IC "LM1881" and a couple of other components to provide the seperation and amplification which is fed to the projector.

There are sites on the net which deal with this mod, and should cost less than 5 pounds.

Regards

AdrianH

[This message has been edited by adrianh (edited 09-01-2001).]

2. shabbyroad

shabbyroad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, what am I doing wrong here - I'm sure it's blindingly obvious to everyone except me.

source : DVD player with RGB output via scart.
    I've looked up the relevant RGB pinouts and have cut-up an old scart lead to make a temporary cable.
    The only connections used are : red (signal & ground), blue (signal & ground), green (signal & ground) [nothing else only those three plugs]

these three plugs are connected (via phono to bnc adaptors) to 3 x co-ax runs going to the destination.

[ I've got s-video and composite video running fine through this loom of co-ax cables and have checked each of them for connectivity & they're ok ]

destination : Seleco 320plus with RGB inputs via Scart. I've got a similar scart-to-phono-to-bnc hook up at the other end.

Now. The image is shaking horizontally & vertically. This is, I suspect, because there is no Horizontal and Vertical sync coming from the DVD to the projector (there are 5 x BNC connectors on the projector for R,G,B,H,V also but I get the same result when using the RGB BNC connectors also).

So.....as far as I can see there isn't a horizontal or vertical sync capability via scart and as far as I can determine there is no such output from this or any DVD player.

What am I doing wrong here ? Should I have connected something else on the scart ?
    my next test is to raise the DVD player up to a height near the projector and connect via a normal scart-to-scart cable to see if that makes any difference. Not that I can see it would...but am willing to try anything at this stage.

-Peter

------------------
    visit Shabbyroad Records, Dublin, Ireland http://www.shabbyroad.com

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    The sync is carried on the composite video signal. Pin19 at dvd player and pin20 at Projector. Earth pin17

You may also need to use rgb fast blanking (think it's pin8) don't have drawings to check at home just now.

All the best,

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

[This message has been edited by Gordon, StereoStereo (edited 09-01-2001).]

4. shabbyroad

shabbyroad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and in case anyone comes across this thread from searching on the site...this is what I did.

I bit the bullet and bought two scart plugs and about 15 metres of scart 2 core cable. I made a 15 metre scart-to-scart and ran it along the side of the wall and up to the projector. I can get a small piece of white plastic trunking that will disguise it against the skirting board and when it's time to repaint the walls and skirting I'll hide it there. Prefer to have it RGB than a half-assed setup.

-Peter

------------------

5. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shabby,
    I see you've cured the problem now, but why so long a cable? 15m is a hell of a long way.
    I know this is stating the obvious, but the shorter the cable, the better quality the picture. If there's any way you can, make it 5m max.

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

6. shabbyroad

shabbyroad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, it's long. probably 10 meters will be enough but soon as I've got the final screen in place (still on order) and have the wiring finished & trunking/skirting in place I'll cut it back to the neatest length - always best to make sure it fits at all (easier to cut back than to add length).

------------------

7. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. shabbyroad

shabbyroad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but my missus says I'm anally retentive.

(although the spouse-approval factor for the home cinema is very high indeed !)

------------------