RGB to Plasma VGA convertor

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Boris Blank, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    This looks interesting, its an RGB Scart to VGA convertor although initially its marketed for Plasma screens - http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/

This is by the same chap who designed the original RGB to Svideo convertor. No info on resolution (I've asked the question on one of the newsgroups) but this may well have possibilities for projector owners. Need more details to be sure.
    Paul

[ 29-07-2001: Message edited by: PaulB ]

[ 29-07-2001: Message edited by: PaulB ]

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    At a first look it would appear to be a line doubler, so that a Plasma can take a fairly good qaulity picture from an RGB equipped source.

Looks interesting, I think i'll mail him.

3. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    From the man himself, here's what the unit does does;

"The RGB to Plasma VGA unit doesn't convert the resolution of the input as extra processing reduces picture quality. It is better to input as good a signal as possible and let the plasma screen do it's own resolution conversion - most plasma screens are 480 lines and all PAL pictures have to be scaled down to fit.

With projectors we've found that these do not automatically scale the PAL picture correctly, although NTSC is fine. So we have taken the decision to only aim this product at plasma screen owners.

I use the Active Video Buffer all the time to give me RGB to my TV and to the RGB to S-Video converter.

All the best,

Dr John Sim."

This guy seems to be pretty much on the ball when it comes to Home Cinema gadgets and this looks to be something that may be a "must have" for Plasma owners. I don't have a plasma but would be interested in a review out of sheer nosiness! Anyone buying one please report back and let us know what its like (HCC - any chance of a review?).
    Paul

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had one of these for a while now and it's a fantastic device. I use it to connect the RGB output from my Tivo/Sky Digital to my Panny TH42PWB3 VGA input. The picture quality is great, seriously get one and you won't be disappointed.

Cheers
    Andy

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    John is a great guy. He started making his RGB to S-Video convertor when he was doing his PhD. He popped in and lent us one of the first. It worked, I liked it. It's the only one we use.

It doesn't surprise me that folk using his latest gadget find it's good to. If you've other devices you think might be useful I'm sure he'd be happy to hear from you.

Gordon