RGB to ? for best Sky digibox projected picture

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Beamer, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have read many threads on the subject of PJ / DVD player combinations but there is very little discussion on connecting the Sky Digibox using the RGB-S to PJ's. Is this because everyone is too busy looking for imperfections of DVD configurations;) or that simply the digibox source results in such poor PJ video?

I'm currently looking to buy a PJ but I am concerned from the perspective that most of my everyday viewing will be from the digibox. If that is not going to hack it with a PJ source I will hang up my boots and save some money.

My intention is to take the RGB-S source and convert it to component video to feed the PJ. The Sony 11WT is favourite due to the favourable internal scaling capability.

Has anyone done it?
    Which converter did you use?
    How did it look?

2. CSGardner

CSGardner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have a look in the Owl Video Systems Forum. Alan Roser posted an answer to the 'Iscan Pro Outputs ' thread, which may offer you a solution.
    "Owl will shortly a release an RGB (scart) to Component Video converter. Price is expected to be about £270-£290 and released in about six weeks."

Chas

3. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another idea is to use www.dscaler.org with your HTPC and output to your projector. I do this with Telewest Cable TV and watching films like Armourgeddon, The Fifth Element etc which have recently been on TV the quality is just as good if not better though the projector than our DPL Sony TV...

Also you can still change the channels using the STB remote control so interacting with the PC is minimal :cool:

James

4. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Chas

Do you have a URL for the Owl Video Systems Forum. I did a search but did not find any reference. J.S Technology are also developing a converter and expect it to cost around £180!

James the HTPC route is fine but I would prefer not to turn my sitting room in to a computer room;) Thanks for the feedback, at least somone has done it with favourable results :) How did you get the RGB-S into the HTPC? I would not want to go back to watching an SVHS source!

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    Who thinks up these prices for these convertors, at the price being suggested, I for one will not be purchasing one :eek:

6. CSGardner

CSGardner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Beamer,
    You'll find the Owl forum near the bottom of the list of forums here (AV Forums) - in the Manufacturers section.

Chas

7. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    OK, your first problem is that the digibox has only two video outputs, both via SCART. One is RGB or composite, the other is composite only.

If you are still using the box with a TV then the RGB goes to that, this leaves composite which you'll probably want to send to the video. There's another complication here in that many PJs won't accept basic RGB at video frequencies so the RGB is kind of useless unless you do something to it....

Using a switchbox, you can take the composite to your PJ. I do something like this with my Sony HS1 (I switch the output from the VCRs SCART manually, this defaults to the Sky feed when the VCR is off). It gives a suprisingly good picture (at 1.2m wide) but even on the best material it doesn't really approach DVD via s-video, whereas it is much closer to DVD quality when viewed via RGB on the TV. Clearly an improvement would be possible with a higher quality connection like s-video.

The most obvious thing to do is get an RGB>s-video converter and feed that to the PJ. The problem then is that you lose your TV RGB feed since all the converters I've seen do not provide a passthrough.

If you are going to use your PJ to replace your telly then that won't be a problem. Otherwise you'll need to get a SCART switchbox wired for RGB, plus the convertor, and switch between TV and projector as needed. Now it' s getting a bit complicated. I'm holding out for an RGB>svideo converter with passthough.......

Alternatively, get a Sky plus box which has s-video out (and a TOSlink for Dolby Digital) or search out a Grundig model Sky Digibox, as apparently they had s-video outputs.

Gav

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why can't you connect the Sky Digibox RGB to RGB. Five cables coming out SCART into five phonos (Red, Green, Blue, Sync and whatever the 5th one is) into your projector inputs. The projector should hava an option in the menu for selecting component or RGB.

9. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Gavan

I think my questions might have been unclear or you have missed the point of the initial thread!

If you want to feed your RGB from your Digibox to both your TV and PJ at the same time, take a look at http://www.rgbtosvideo.com you will find a product called an active buffer that does the job. I do not want to regress to SVHS and definitely not composite.

My Sky+ box already has Svideo but my goal is to get the quality of the RGB+S to the projector and my understanding is that most PJ's won't handle RGB+Sync.

Chris

10. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    George

I'm not sure but I think a converter is needed to generate component RGB to feed the PJ.

Has anyone done it without using a computer to interface the PJ?

11. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hey Tim

Once you have got over buying all your new gear, buying a converter will be like falling off a wall:) I have enjoyed reading your posts for the past few weeks and look forward to the next installment that covers digibox interfaces and transcoders ;)

Chris

12. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Chas

Thanks for the tip, I will have to give some thought as to what these converters have to do. Seems to me that nearly £300 quid is a lot of money for a few chips but I guess the market is niche hence the hi price. I will check out the two specifications to see if I can deduce how and if it is possible to build myself.

When you consider that RGBS to SVHS converters sell for £65 - £85 pounds and only have a Sync seperater chip, crystal and a few resisters to OR the output, may be converting to component is equally easy! BUT then again maybe not! ;) I think I will wait on the converter being developed at http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/ unless somone has found a another tried and tested solution.

Chris

13. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    Chris

no no no no no :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm broke :p

14. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Sorry, when I read your post I just thought you were looking for a 'better than composite' way of connecting to your projector as you didn't mention you already had a Sky+ box

At the end of the day, the biggest limitation on your picture quality will be the limited bandwidth that Sky use for their broadcasts (done in real time and typically 3-4mbit/s I've heard, vs up to 8mbit/s for DVD) and not the s-video link which is more than capable of carrying the required chrominance and luminance information to the projector.

I really doubt that component will show too much improvement given the limitations of the Sky signal that I mentioned earlier, but if you see one make sure to give a report.

Having seen what's available at the link you gave, I have to say I'm tempted but the prices seem rather high. I'd have to spend about 140 quid to get s-video to my projector, hmmmm. I'm not 100% pleased with using the composite output to my PJ, but I'd think twice before paying that sort of money.

As regards feeding RGB directly to the projector, according to the docs my Sony HS1 can take it but no cables appear to be currently available. Maybe the Sony 11WT can do it as well? It doesn't seem to be a common feature.

Gav

15. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Gav

I think you have hit the mark. The problem I see is that PJ's seem to either take component YUV or RGB with Sync on green but not RGBS which is what the digibox give out. Leads are not a problem for me as I can knock them up myself.

Thanks for the input.

Chris

16. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris

Actually I think RGBS is becoming quite common on PJ's now - I've been looking at the feature for the same purpose (to connect sky to a PJ in the future). The 10/11HT sonys both accept RGBS via 4 phono leads, and I think Sanyo do as well. There's a good 10HT FAQ on the web, can't remember the address :( and it mentions this. Just look for "15k RGB" in the manuals, this is interlaced RGB.

17. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ian

Thanks for the info, I had been told by the local dealer that the Sony 11HT could not interface to the Sky box directly using the RGBS. Seems like they were miss informed. With a little luck Museumsteve will be able to confirm this in the next few days as he is borrowing or buying and 11HT to make some tests.

At last there is light at the end of the tunnel, soon I will no excuse not to buy it ;) I will keep my eyes open for the FAQ, there's some great info on the web but boy it can be tough to track it down sometimes!

18. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  19. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ian

Thanks very much for taking the trouble, very interesting, problem is that after reading the FAQ it has left me with more questions! Seems that the reviewer was not too excited about the intrnal scaler of the 10 HT, so now I need to research the changes between the 10HT and 11HT.

So much fun and I still don't have a PJ:blush:

Cheers

Chris

20. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You might want to check these links:

http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/faq/vga2rgb/scart.html

http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/dcforum/DCForumID27/3164.shtml

http://www.syncblaster.com/

It's a while since I read through all this, but I think you might be able to get away without a sync seperator/amplifier for the 11HT. Maybe it depends on the particular source unit.

Have you looked at the Sony HS10 proj? I was going to get a 12HT, but the concensus seems to be that the HS10 is just as good (maybe a bit noisier) for half the price.

The HS10 only has one input (15pin VGA) that might accept RGBs though - I'll have to get a RGB-> component converter for SKY as I need to connect a HTPC as well if I get an HS10.

Marcus

21. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Marcus

How did you dig up this thread, it must be about 9 months old by now;)

I pulled the trigger a good while ago and purchased an Epson TW100 and have never looked back. Great contrast and colour and works perfectly connected directly to the Sky box.

Chris