1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB to component video question

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Futski, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Futski

Futski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased a panasonic TX36PD30 and I am currently disappointed with the picture from SKY via RGB.

However, my component video from my DVD player is excellent.

Therefore does anyone know how I can link by RGB sky box to my component YUV inputs on the back of my Panny ?

I have seen expensive converters at £75 but is there a simple cable which also does the trick.

Also, silly question i know, but are component cables the same as RCA / Phono one or are they something completely special.

Would appreciate early response, as still pondering whether to return my Panasonic TX36PD30 instead !!

Regards

2. owenw

owenw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You may have tried all of these ideas but before you spend any dosh have you checked the following?

Have you set the Sky box output to RGB? If not the RGB cable will just output composite. (Check in Services > Picture Settings on your digibox - make sure output is set to 'RGB' not 'PAL' and SCART control is 'ON')

Is the SCART socket on your TV RGB enabled? Some TV's only have 1 or 2 RGB scart sockets the rest are composite / s-video only.

Have you tried connecting an RGB Scart from the DVD player to the TV to see if the image is also poor? There might be a fault in the TV or digibox.

hth

3. Futski

Futski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply.

Sky is definately on RGB, as PAL is even worse !

Panny has 4 scart sockets x2 rgb and sky and dvd on the two rgb ones and problem persists, even if swaping them around.

4. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To get the best out of it

http://www.js-technology.com/rgb-yuv/index.htm

You'll also need some method of switching between DVD and SKY when they're both using component

As for cables, you should use cables suitable for transmission of video signals, so that's 75 ohm coax in simple terms. Dependant on how long you want and how much you want to spend really. Normally RCA cables for audio are not ideal for the video connections. Read the Beekeepers posts for an explanation.

Highly recommended, are the cables built by Mark Grant.