RGB to Component question

ikon66

Established Member
Reaction score
I have got a RGB to RGB only lead connecting my dav-lf1, dvd surround sound system, to my pio xde and the PQ is really good.

Would the PQ be any better if I used RGB to Component, and why please

Paul

I recently had my pdp435xde delivered and connected up my sky box with a rgb lead (high quality) just to make sure it worked ok. My normal setup is that the rgb signal is converted to component (I have the cheaper CYP convertor, many people swear by the js tech convertor) and when I put this back into the equation there was a noticeable increase in picture quality. It's sharper, crisper and the colors are better defined - I had switch off all the "color / picture enhancers" on the panel to achieve this.

It depends on how well the display handles a given signal. RGB scart on my Hitachi is rubbish. The improvement when using the Keene Aptus1 converter was worth the money spent.

You might find one in classifieds, try it and re-sell if it's not worth it to you. If you are local to me you can try and buy, but it's too much hassle to do by post.

MAW said:
You might find one in classifieds, try it and re-sell if it's not worth it to you. If you are local to me you can try and buy, but it's too much hassle to do by post.

cheers maw, in the NE :mad: thanks for the offer though

Does the question mean an RGB to component LEAD?

Just to avoid any misunderstanding, RGB and component are NOT compatible, though it MAY be possible to connect with the same lead.

Assuming the quesition about using an RGB to component CONVERTOR, the answer will probably be no.

Component and RGB achieve much the same thing, and if you can at least use one or the other, that will probably be very good, but switching may not be worth the trouble. Component is preferred where you want to avoid the component to RGB conversion stage in the DVD player or the RGB input in the display.

The proposed solution would use the DVD component to RGB convertor, then an external RGB to component convertor, and then a further component to RGB convertor in the display. Three stages of degrading and wasteful conversion where only one is needed.

Far better to use a component output from the DVD if there is one. Otherwise leave well alone and enjoy.

Nick

welwynnick said:
Does the question mean an RGB to component LEAD?

Just to avoid any misunderstanding, RGB and component are NOT compatible, though it MAY be possible to connect with the same lead.

Assuming the quesition about using an RGB to component CONVERTOR, the answer will probably be no.

Component and RGB achieve much the same thing, and if you can at least use one or the other, that will probably be very good, but switching may not be worth the trouble. Component is preferred where you want to avoid the component to RGB conversion stage in the DVD player or the RGB input in the display.

The proposed solution would use the DVD component to RGB convertor, then an external RGB to component convertor, and then a further component to RGB convertor in the display. Three stages of degrading and wasteful conversion where only one is needed.

Far better to use a component output from the DVD if there is one. Otherwise leave well alone and enjoy.

Nick

thanks for that, so a rgb to component lead will not do the job, I have a Sony dav-lf1 which is a surround sound system. It only has an rgb socket out although you can set the output to rgb or composite video only. I have it and my pio set to rgb. So based on what you say it's prolly not worth the extra effort or expence to do this?

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom