1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB to Component or VGA

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by gossp, Jun 22, 2004.

1. gossp

gossp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi all,
    I have two sources (DVD and Digibox) and want to use my Amp for switching of the two sources into my projector. Now I'm looking for a RGB - YUV converter (wanted thread on classified forum) so will have two component sources going into the amp.
    The question is will I get an improvement or any benefit in using a component to VGA cable over a straight component cable into thte projector?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    What PJ? i wouldnt have thought so but depends on PJ

3. gossp

gossp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    well the amp is a Marantz SR7200 going into a Hitachi TX100.
    I only ask as I read somewhere someone saying it gives a better picture but didn't qualify their statement.
    But I may have mistaken their statment from being 'converting the RGB signal to a VGA signal rather than to a component signal'. But for me (for convienince sake) thats not an option.
    The TX100 has VGA input but my amp doesn't and I would prefere to use the amp for switching video and audio source.
    Thanks

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    gossip

The only 'disadvantage' in using an HD15 connector to deliver Interlaced or Progressive YUV over say a set of three RCA or BNC connectors is that the HD15 hood will slightly limit your choice of suitable cable as the very heaviest Multicore cables wont fit in the HD15 hood.

Of the three RCA, BNC or HD15 then BNC is the 'correct' termination as it has the potential to be a true 75 ohm connector - though some BNC plugs and sockets are better built than others.

A decent quality 3RCA to HD15 cable fro YUV should not be too hard to source or if your VERY good with a soldering iron do self assembly.

We supply lots of 3RCA to HD15 cables up to 10m - though keep in mind at 10m or above you are 'pushing the envelope' in that the YUV out form your amp is only really deigned to drive short cables.

If you need to go much over 10m you may want a signal amp in your system.

Best regards

Joe

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    gossip

The only 'disadvantage' in using an HD15 connector to deliver Interlaced or Progressive YUV over say a set of three RCA or BNC connectors is that the HD15 hood will slightly limit your choice of suitable cable as the very heaviest Multicore cables wont fit in the HD15 hood.

Of the three RCA, BNC or HD15 then BNC is the 'correct' termination as it has the potential to be a true 75 ohm connector - though some BNC plugs and sockets are better built than others.

A decent quality 3RCA to HD15 cable fro YUV should not be too hard to source or if your VERY good with a soldering iron do self assembly.

We supply lots of 3RCA to HD15 cables up to 10m - though keep in mind at 10m or above you are 'pushing the envelope' in that the YUV out form your amp is only really deigned to drive short cables.

If you need to go much over 10m you may want a signal amp in your system.

Best regards

Joe

6. gossp

gossp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks Joe. Well makes no sense at all to go for a HD15 connector then. I'm happy to stick to 3 RCAs to be honest. Lots of choice and plenty in the 2nd hand market too. Not sure what length I need yet as its not been descided yet where its going to live permemently (currently only getting it out when we want to use it). But will be investigating this further soon.
    Cheers