1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB to Component losing sync!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mpf2003, Nov 4, 2003.

1. mpf2003

mpf2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies if this has been covered (i did search).
    I have a 30" LG LCD with component inputs. I bought an RGB to YUV converter for my sky+ box and connected everything up. Picture was very good but intermittently goes off!! The message 'No Signal' appears briefly and then the picture comes back. I thought it may have been the 'Widecsreen switching ' signal interfering but it still does it even with this turned off. The makers of the converter say that a poor satellite signal would cause the sync signal to miss and produce this problem but ive tried connecting a dvd player direct and the same thing happens.

Any ideas?
    Thanks.

2. ziocleto

ziocleto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did have the same problem, not exactly the same but what it turned out to be was the telly that had a fault.
    Absolutely not sure this is your case anyway...

3. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had this problem on Q-sync extractor from QED. They describe it in troubleshooting saying that one probelm is the Vertical or Horizontal scan problem on the screen but that applies only ot 5% of the screens.

What I found was my problem though was interference over the sync box power cable. I failed to identify what exactly was causing it. Most of the time moving my phone base a few inches helped. I couldn't be bothered to look what exactly it was as it is fine now.

Try eliminating possible sources one by one and you will find what;s causing it

4. stevehayles

stevehayles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    INterseting post as I have exactly the same problems with my LG LCD panel

I have had a Toshiba 520 dvd player for a while connected via high quality component video cables to an LG MW-30LZ10 30" lcd. The picture quality is definitely better with component than with anything else but intermittently I get a 'no signal' display on my panel and the image dissapears for a few seconds.

I know that at least one other person has seen similar problems with the LG panel. Mine has been off for repair (which took a ridiculous three months to get returned from LG!!!) but they could find no fault.

There is no repeatability to the problem it seems as I can replay a DVD that caused a problem and it will be fine. I have tried routing the cable away from everything else. The DVD player is multiregion bu I would have thought that should not be a problem. All the disc I have tried to date are R2.

I get a similar problem feeding a component signal to the panel via a CSY2100 RGB>Component box but I now suspect that maybe the problems (despite ointing to the Panel) are seperate. I am most concerned with sorting out the DVD problem and would be keen to know from anyone who might have seen similar problems and especially from anyone with an idea of what I might try.

Thanks

5. berry

berry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Deman77,

How does the Q Sync from QED compare to the JS RGB to VGA converter?

Is there a notable improvement in quality?

6. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't know I never tried the JS but everyone around here says it's great.

You will hardly see a notable improvement in quality if at all between QED and JSTech because they are both high quality. I have seen notable improvement when I switched from scart to sync extractor but between two quality active sync extractors you will be splitting hairs.

QED was good for me because I needed exactly 3m of run and QED comes with 2m VGA and 1m Scart. So the QED at 150 turns out cheaper then JSTech at 120+cables 40-60Scart+50-120VGA. With JSTech you will need to get your own cables but then you can get any cables you want and you will want to spend about the money I indicated, otherwise you may as well stick to the scart connection as bad cables will kill all the good work. With QED the scart is wired in (with nice fat RGB QED scart cable) and the VGA cable is detachable (looks like it's shielded as well), still cheaper than JSTech even if you chuck the VGA cable and get your own.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Toshiba DVD's have had this problem reported before, with a plasma. I think it was a PW6. Try a search for toshiba dvd in the plasma forum, it was a couple of months ago. But it does sound like the panel is very sensitive to less than perfect signal, there may be no cure. It's a price you pay for LG quality. There is a saying, that there's nothing in the world that can't be made a little cheaper by being made a little worse. I'm very much afraid that this is what happens in Korea. Though Tosh shouldn't make excuses like that, they're supposed to be good!

8. mpf2003

mpf2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the LG was the only screen to do this i may agree but i know there are threads about other makes that do similar. Also i read somewhere that LG manufacture screens for Sony so they cant be that bad.

9. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    berry,

I tried both a Qsync and a JS RGB > YUV and did notice a difference - the JS device produced a cleaner picture on my NEC plasma. The QED seemed to introduce a grainyness that wasn't present with the JS.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Who said sony LCD's were any good? No seriously, LG do not make stuff for sony, they are owned by philips, and even philips don't use LG to make their stuff. Sorry about the cheeky sony comment, they're just a little pricey

11. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RossC,

It's an interesting comparison, but it's not exactly like to like.

You need to compare Qsync to JSTech RGB-VGA converter.

I remember there was a discussion a few month ago what's better JSTech-YUV or JSTech-VGA converter and some people preferred component because it was softer and more natural while others liked VGA because it was sharper (shraper means grainier because you see all the artefacts clearer). The colours also differ slightly between the two.

12. berry

berry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Deman77 / RossC,

I've managed to get a loan of the QED and will see how it works out (hope to get the plasma this w/e). Don't have access to the JS RGB2VGA so cannot compare.

Also, still haven't figured out my DVD/STB/VCR connections to the PWD6!! .. and should I invest in a Quintro+ (or the new Vivanco AV Control 5due out in a few weeks)?

I continue to welcome your suggestions on any of the above.

regards,

berry

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I've tried them all, and JS works most reliably, and best PQ, though this is of course subjective. The quintro is another iffy device, said to be fixed, but I haven't tried the new version. Just bear in mind that you are all buying premium technology displays, it's pointless and self defeating to start penny pinching on adapters and cables, you get only what you pay for

14. scgf

scgf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have recently installed a Hitachi 42PMA400 plasma screen. I bought a JS RGB2Component converter having been told this would be the only way to connect my RGB devices to the screen.

I have been getting the dreaded dropout problem when watching DVDs - a black screen every five minutes or so, sometimes two or three in a row.

Today I decided to make up a SCART -> 4 phono lead so that I could feed the screen with RGB & CVBS for sync. I had some decent phono cables so set about the task.

To cut a long story short, I have now eliminated the dropouts. I have a redundant JS converter and TechLink component cable set, but in the process I have achieved a better picture. Initially I thought it was grainy, but after tweaking the sharpness etc. and comparing it with the picture through the JS it is actually showing a lot more detail - evident in faces particularly.

Interestingly I have also eliminated lip-sync issues I was having with Sky.

Is there a decent online source for made-up SCART->4 phono cables? Given my just average soldering skills and the abundant use of insulating tape to keep the SCART terminals from touching I am sure I could improve on that picture even more with a better quality lead.

15. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I used to get Lektropaks to make mine, but now make my own as it's so much cheaper. But their silver screen and pro stuff is pretty reasonable. They don't have a 'designer' name, but the bits they use all look OK to me, and joints properly done.

17. scgf

scgf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The cable I made up has a bog-standard SCART plug at one end, 3 x 2m lengths of Prowire Triple Internconnect (originally phono to phono cables - I chopped the phono plugs off one end to connect into the SCART plug) and 1 x 2m cheapo screened cable for the composite connection. I twisted the outer screen of the three Prowire cables together and connected that to the metal part of the SCART plug. (Obviously each individual connection is separately screened and connected to the appropriate SCART pins - the cable is double screened).

The lead connects between the plasma screen & a Quintro+ switch box

Am I realistically going to improve things by spending 50 quid on the Lektropacks ProLink equivalent? I am quite prepared to splash out if it is worth it.

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Probably you will, without meaning to cast aspertions, sorry mate! The only drawback of the lektropacks is working out which one is which! Post again if you're lost, I've still got a labelled on here for reference.

19. manc

manc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think i may knock one of these up just out of curiosity.

Are you using the seperate component out plug or the one from the scart plug as the sync sigal. If its coming from the scart wich pin is it? 19 and 17 for ground ?

20. scgf

scgf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Yes, exactly that.

5 - Blue ground
    7 - Blue
    9 - Green Ground
    11 - Green
    13 - Red Ground
    15 - Red
    17 - CVBS Ground
    19 - CVBS

21. scgf

scgf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    MAW - decided to take your advice and buy a made-up cable. A company caled CPC (not heard of them before) sell a SCART to 4 phono lead, specifically for this purpose. They use Van Damme OFC cable. Unfortunately the lead is terminated with BNC plugs, so I had to order 4 phono plugs.

The link to the lead is http://makeashorterlink.com/?P2A812F86

22. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    scfg

Please keep in mind that passive converter will be worse than the active extractor.

23. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm lost here, can you explain?

Harvey

24. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Nothing to explain, he's not absolutely correct. For a start, an active sync extractor like the JS RGB to VGA won't work with the Hitachi, and for another, it's not miraculously adding anything to the signal that wasn't there in the 1st place. The device is popular with panasonic owners, particularly 5 series, as it adds a scart connection to your screen without taking up the YUV connections, but on the PMA400 you have loads of YUV connections, it's not an issue in any case.

25. manc

manc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, at the risk of sounding stupid :)

I have made my lead but cannot get a picture apart from a composite picture using my sync carrying lead - when i attempt to use the rgb i get an out of frequency error.

I am probably being incredibly dim but could you tell me exactly where you plugged the 3 rgb leads?

26. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    (I have not got this screen yet will do soon) You use the component inputs for RGB and composite input for composite sync. Have you set the component inputs for RGB or is it still setup as YUV?

Harvey

27. manc

manc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant see any options to configure the YUV as RGB :S

28. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    AHHHHHH I can't believe it... I am now completely confused how do you connect up the 400E. On the Hitachi site it shows it being connected by RGB and sync on composite!

Help!!!! :)

Harvey

29. manc

manc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You got a link m8 might help me out ?

*edit*

Works great after re-wiring my connections - think it would be better with a quality cable. I think this is certianly the way forward with this display as an alternative to expencive converters :)

30. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/

You will see the connection wizard at the bottom right hand corner.

Cheers

Harvey