1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB to Component conversion

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by alan5757, Dec 15, 2004.

1. alan5757

alan5757

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I know their are highly recommended convertors from JS Technologies and from Keene. These would take the RGB from my sky+ and convert to component. However, with the current low prices on DVD Recorders I was wondering if I could use one of those instead.

Can DVD Recorders act as a convertor to a signal passing through that isn't actually being recorded, just viewed......i.e. sky+?

Am I right in thinking I should be able to set up with RGB Scart IN from sky+ with RGB Scart OUT to Tv and also Component (possibly even with Progressive Scan depending on model) to my Infocus Projector.

If I could get one with decent dvd playback then I could do away with current dvd, current convertor, only have the need for one connection straight to projector resulting in less clutter and a happier wife.

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    DVD recorders like the Panasonic E55 can take in RGB and output component both interlaced and progressive so are useful for video conversion and recording of course.

Jeff :rtfm:

3. alan5757

alan5757

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks Jeff. That's really useful to know. Do you know of others. The Panasonic sounds like it has great features with the exception of people moaning about finalising DVD-R discs.

Not having a dvd recorder myself don't know how much of an issue this is.

Think this route would have a massive impact on the quality of my projected image from sky+ to my X1

4. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Alan,

I have only used RAM discs with the Panasonic E55 so don't know about finalising issues with DVD-R discs.
    The picture quality from SKY using RGB into the Panasonic and out as component is very good and would work well with your X1

Jeff :rtfm:

5. alan5757

alan5757

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Bought multi regional panny E65. Having problems with set up.

Have connected component leads to Infocus X1. Cannot get picture when setting Panny to video (component out), with progressive scan set to on, whilst using the VESA adaptor for the X1.

Can get interlaced picture with both sky+ and dvd playback no problem. But specifically bought this to get best picture possible - wanted progressive component from both sky+ and dvd playback.

Anybody help?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    what has the better video De-interlacer a £200 DVD recorder or an £800 PJ???I recon they will be about the same so leave panny set to interlaced and let PJ De-interlace.... MAKE sure SKY is set to RGB out and you have good cables.

7. alan5757

alan5757

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Get where your coming from Hornydragon. However, It would be nice to do the comparison.

Anyone got any ideas?