1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB to component conversion via DVD Recorder?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by converse120, Oct 11, 2004.

1. converse120

converse120
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It’s quite possible that I haven’t engaged brain correctly, and this is a stupid question, but I’ll take the chance anyway.

Will a DVD recorder (such as Panasonic DMR-E95) that accepts RGB via Scart (from Sky Digital box), and outputs component (to a Panasonic PWD6), make my JS-Tech RGB2YUV surplus to requirements?

Cheers

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    potetially but the small hitch is that you have to use the DVDR set to AV2 which i think may prevent for example recording BBC 1 analogue on DVD-R while watching SKY one on PLasma

3. converse120

converse120
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, most useful. But now more questions ! I want to maximise my recording flexibility and PQ, so need to get the connections right.

My gear is PWD6 (with VGA and Component inputs available), Denon 3803 (with 2 component in and 1 out), Denon 2900 DVD (which will run alongside the DVD-Recorder), and I'll probably get a a Freeview box to lose the analogue for recording (most of my viewing is still 'normal' telly channels - 1to5)

SKY+ is a consideration for the future, but at the moment I don't want to muddy the waters with any other complexities that will create !

So....

Would that potential hitch be common to most/all dvd recorders, I'm only thinking about the E95 ?

Does the sky digibox only output RGB on the 'TV scart', and therefore just composite on the 'VCR scart' ?

Cheers

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The easiest thing to do is get a distribution amp, a decent simple scart one will set you back no more than £70. Double your Sky+ RGB output, one to the recorder t'other straight to the display!! No other way to do it without affecting usability.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    SKy boxes i have come across are RGB on TV scart and Composite output on VCR scart there are 2-3 possibles all potenially fraught........ SKY+ will output S-video on second scart...... If you are going for routing through the amp (which Has a video loop?? for VCR) perhaps S-video would be more sensible the best system would be Sky+............ and perhaps a JVC DR-M20/30 will do S-video to component...... but amp will do that anyway.....
    SO either Panny and lesser recording compatibility or Sky+ and the world is your oyster....

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    unless the HDD allows you to send Sky to TV and internal tuner to HDD worth asking an E85 owner...... OK just skimmed first half of manual..... no sign yet but will keep looking Using E100 manual but very similar operation.... Pages 56 and 57 of manual seem to hint that you may be able record analogue to HDD and watch Sky at same time.....

7. converse120

converse120
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies,

I guess I could always use the RGB2YUV box for freeview if the Sky box gets hooked up to an appropriate DVD recorder with component output.

Anyway, it looks like a bit more investigation is required before I do anything. Any further advice is very welcome.

Cheers

8. rubberducker

rubberducker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi i am using an E85 to my PWD 6.

basically RGB is coming in to the recorder form my telewest cable box and is being converted to componant via the E85.

compared to my usual RGB Scart board picture - it is a huge improvement. colours are far bolder and images are much sharper. nearly crystal clear....

recommended.