1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB to Component connector

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by G Canavan, Jan 27, 2004.

1. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    need to buy a RGB to component connector, seen JS Tecnology £145 and Lectropacks £75 to connect DVD to Hitachi plasma. Any views or preferance.

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Consenus is that JS tech ones are best...keep an eye on the classifieds as they come up now and again, otherwise check out av-sales, nexnix, ivojo, letsautomate etc

JJ

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    JS-Tech ones are made from broadcast quality components and are simply the best (I have two), others are not.

StooMonster

4. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have the Lektropaks RGB to component cable, it works fine on my PMA500E (although I bought it for a 400E that never materialised) now I use the RGB scart to RGB scart input on the 500E and I can see no difference in quality between the two.

Best regards David

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Galaxy, that's partly cos your converter is not that good, and partly cos the Hitachis like an RGB feed, it's been specifically recommended by hitachi over YUV. In technical terms there is nothing to choose between rgb and sync, ie scart, and YUV, just some screens seem to favour one or the other. It makes Hitachis cheaper to connect I guess, so owners should not complain.

6. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    MAW, It's not a "converter" just a cable that happens to have different connections at either end, there is no "conversion" process taking place, unlike the JS device which actually strips and adds sync to the YUV signal.
    And I understand that the two signals are the same thing just a different "flavour" the RGB (scart) is basically the consumer version of component.
    In edit suites obviously YUV is the preferred method as the signal is easier to control having sync seperate.
    But, and its a big but, quite often the "consumer" RGB signal can be fairly dirty which is just down to manufacturers knowing that the consumer mostly just doesnt notice or need the "perfect" feed so components in the path are er.......shall we say.....more economically picked? LOL

A shame really.

Best regards David

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Your cable is not component at all, but RGB and sync on composite, just like Hitachi recommend. Very few devices put out a YUV signal on scart, I know of only 1 or 2 in fact. Some manufacturers confusingly refer to RGB as 'RGB component'. Your cable has 4 connectors I take it.

8. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Absolutely correct, this cable enables the RGB to be feed into the Component feed and uses the CVBS as the sync signal.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The rgb goes into the RGB feed, it has to be configured for either 1 or other. Default is RGB.

10. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well according to Hitachi the RGB from the scart feeds to the Component in on the PMA400E and the CVBS from the scart provides the sync.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes, if you want to use it for component you have to tell it so. Just another example of confusing language. It remains true that the signal is not component video, no matter what orifice you stick it in.

12. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well I know where I'd like to stick some of the instructions books we get! LOL
    Technical writers? ah!
    The old standby of "if you press enough buttons before opening the book, usually you won't have to" comes to mind.

We built an entire U-matic edit suite about 20years ago using that and it was way easier to use than the Digital Beta that replaced it! LOL

Now its all software and humming hard drives........EEK!!! give me a tape any day.........

Best regards David

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Hello all

Galaxy:
    Most Consumer kit in the UK will output RGB+Sync 'Component' video via SCART.

Presentation and Pro kit that's labelled as 'Component' video will take RGB or YUV 'Component' video - they are similar but not the same.

Like MAW I'm pretty certain your viewing RGB 'Component' with SYNC on Video on your display.

G Canavan:
    To convert SCART RGB+Sync to YUV you need some form of number crunching - JS Technology do it actively with a good quality power supply and custom chip set; other 'accessory' manufacturers try and make use of whatever power is present down the RGB lines of Conversion 'Cables' - this is very much less effective.

Best regards

Joe

14. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    That is exactly what I have been saying, or trying to! I am using the RGB out from the scart and feeding to the Component input with the CVBS as sync..........I thought it was simple? ;o)

Best regards David

15. Gazzad

Gazzad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Maw

So is it worth me paying the extra for a home cinema system with component output (Panasonic SCST1) or stick with a system with RGB scart?

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    We're just being pedantic, and correst, in saying it's not a component input, you're feeding it rgb, therefore it's an RGB input. Component is 3 cables, sync, and 2 colour difference signals. RGB can confusingly be 3, if the sync is sent on green, but more usualy 4 like yours. Gazzad, we posted at the same time. Answer, depends on the screen. If it's Hitachi they recommend RGB and sync, there's no point in going for component there, a dvd component might well be progressive scan, which will really benefit some progressive displays, but not much if anything to be gained with Hitachi panels, they seem to prefer rgb, and are intrinsically interlaced in any case. God alone knows what occurs inside alis screens but suffice to say I'd stick to the manufacturers recommendations.

17. Gazzad

Gazzad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Maw

Thanks for the response, I've got the Hitachi 42PD300 on order and was looking at either the Panasonic SCST1 (Component) or Pioneer NSDV990 (RGB Scart).

If it maaakes little or no difference I'll go for the Pioneer which looks the business.

Cheers

Gazzad

18. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Galaxy

It is until you have an AV Amp, Display, Projector, Switcher etc that wants YUV and your source has RGB+Sync!

And of course you dont generally get DVD players that offer 'Progressive' Scan via RGB - whilst you do get DVD players that offer 'Progressive Scan' via YUV.

Best regards

Joe

This is like Twin Peaks - sorry Twin Postings:)

19. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well from my little knowledge RGB is component video, the components being Red Green and Blue. The component RCA input on the 400E can be configured to take Component RGB (sync sent separately on composite) or Component YUV (Sync included). From what I understand RGB is the highest or at least as high quality signal as YUV. YUV needs less bandwidth I believe as it carries the difference between 2 colours to create the 3rd (not sure which ones). RGB carried via a scart lead can not be used for progressive scan, scart leads are not up to it hence the use of YUV for progressive scan on DVD players. Progressive scan can be sent in RGB form though, just look at a computer monitor!! just not via scart.

Of course I stand to be corrected about the above by more knowledgable persons :)

20. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well from my little knowledge RGB is component video, the components being Red Green and Blue. The component RCA input on the 400E can be configured to take Component RGB (sync sent separately on composite) or Component YUV (Sync included). From what I understand RGB is the highest or at least as high quality signal as YUV. YUV needs less bandwidth I believe as it carries the difference between 2 colours to create the 3rd (not sure which ones). RGB carried via a scart lead can not be used for progressive scan, scart leads are not up to it hence the use of YUV for progressive scan on DVD players. Progressive scan can be sent in RGB form though, just look at a computer monitor!! just not via scart.

Of course I stand to be corrected about the above by more knowledgable persons :)

21. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I do not feed anything through switcher or amp, apart from audio, the HTPC feeds direct to the Projector, the DVD feeds component direct to the component inputs on the screen (genuine ones MAW!) and Sky+ feeds direct to the RGB scart input on the screen.........I have no time for S-VHS anymore, beta was relegated to the loft years ago and eventually I suppose I will get around to DVD-+R at home too, but not yet I think I'll let the dust settle first on that front.
    Then again there allways the Sony VideoDisc recorder sitting languishing in the spare room? <BG>

Harvey, what you describe is correct. Its a jungle out there in cable land.
    Best regards David