1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB that much better than S-Video for Sky?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by galewis1, Sep 3, 2004.

1. galewis1

galewis1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I will be using an Arcam AVR300 to upconvert all my source signals to component for output to my projector (Infocus 4805).

I know that the best output for Sky is RGB scart, but in order to get this into my receiver, I need to buy a JS-Tech RGB to Component converter at £140. That seems mighty expensive to me.

If I were to connect with S-Video directly to the receiver, would this be that much of a backwards step?

Alternatively, is there a cheaper way of getting the RGB signal to my receiver?

Thanks

Gary

:lease:

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Gary

S-Video out of SKY+ can look very good - though usually RGB is better still.

(NOTE Its only SKY+ that has S-Video out - not standard SKY boxes).

RGB to YUV conversion can be had for less than £140.00 - though its done so badly your better not bothering.

You'll see very little if any negative comments about the JS Technology converters - they are bullet proof, do a great job and Dr John is always on hand to resolve compatibility issues.

Video up-conversion in your AV Receiver is a nice convenience feature for Secondary sources - though I wouldn't use it with my Primary viewing sources.

In your case if your not wanting to spend the money on a JS Technology converter I'd advise you keep the SKY+ signal as S-Video - direct to the Projector or pre switched but not up-converted on the AV Receiver.

Best regards

Joe

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,034
    I'd tend to disagree with Joe. I'd retain the upconversion from SVideo to component for convenience; it won't markedly degrade the signal.

The difference in raw quality between SVideo and RGB is there, but slight. Much less than the difference between composite and SVideo. Given the generally poor quality of many Sky channels (low bitrate) I wouldn't imagine you'd get value from a RGB>Component converter.

4. galewis1

galewis1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for your responses... I don't actually have Sky+, I just have plain old Sky digital. I was thinking about a Scart to S-Video cable. Would this alter your opinions at all?

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello Gary

Yes!!!

Standard SKY boxes are Composite or RGB via SCART - there's no S-Video option with this box.

So you either need to up-convert Composite via the AV Receiver or add a JS Technology RGB2YUV converter between the SCART out and the AV Receiver; I know which option we always supply/use!!!

Keep in mind you need to set the SKY box to RGB - Before you add in the converter.

Best regards

Joe

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,034
    There will be a marked difference between using the composite output from $ky (whether upconverted or not) and using the RGB output. RGB will be significantly better than composite.