RGB Switching via Component Receiver

MPK

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been reading through several threads discussing this topic, but am still confused whether this is possible. The question is:

In order to connect a, say, Sky Box with the RGB scart output to a receiver, which only has component inputs, does one need a RGBs to component converter or will a simple Scart to 6 phono cable work?
I'm looking at this cable here
I intend to use the Sky Box's Scart output (set to RGB) and connect to a (in this case Denon) receiver's component input. The sync signal (4th phono cable) is connected to the receiver's composite input. The remaining two phono cables are connected to the analog audio inputs L/R. The receiver is then connected via component (or HDMI with upconversion) to the plasma.

Will this work and display the Sky Box's RGB signal on the plasma? If yes, I'd be rather upset having spent £120 on a RGBs to component converter... :confused:

Many thanks

You need to use a converter box, or just use s-video or wait until sky HD and use a digital video cable. A reciever doesn't accept RGB only component so you will need a converter.

That's what I first thought as well, but there are several threads such as this one http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28297&page=2&pp=15 where people have managed to use RGB Sync via Composite, i.e. a Scart cable that ouputs R, G, and B on three different cables and the sync signal on the fourth cable, which is connected to the composite input.
I'm not good at soldering, but the link in my first post shows a cable, which does exactly that.

The only way you can get it through a scart socket is if it is Component, otherwise using a cable will not convert RGB to Component, they are physicaly different ways of doing something, think of RGB as english and Component as French without conversion they are not compatable, no matter if you write it down or shout it. Poor analogy but i hope you get the idea, like trying to install pc only software on a mac, it ain't gonna work even if it can physicaly fit in the drive.

Well, from what I understand it depends if the receiver or TV is able to receive the sync signal via composite. Here is another post where someone has got it to work and here , particularly with a Denon amp.

There's dozens of posts asking the same question and on each of them there are contradictory answers. Some people got it to work on receivers, others claim it's not possible. I was just wondering if there is a definite answer :confused:

The RGB signals are different to the Component (YCbCr) signals. So you can't hook up RGB to component directly - it needs converting.

It wouldn't be straight to the TV but through a video switching amp, which has component inputs as well as composite. I am aware that component is not the same as RGB. Component has the sync signal included in the green channel (if I'm not mistaken) whereas RGB Scart has it seperate on Pin19. However, it is a fact that certain devices can use the sync signal through the composite input (RGB into the component inputs) and thus accept RGB into component.

It's actually not for my setup, but for a friend (I used the RGB to Component converter for mine). You're right the media box has an RGBs input, but the advantages of switching through the amp are:
1. Onscreen display of Amp functions
2. No change of inputs required on TV (only one monitor out from amp to TV)
3. Lipsync adjustment possible on Sky

I know these are small benefits, which is why most people couldn't justify a £120 RGB to Component converter box. Therefore my question with a simple Scart to 6 phono cable. It seems to work for others (see links to threads above).

As far as I can tell, those that have got their receivers to switch RGBcvS video have only been able to do it with a receiver that does not have upconversion, and even then not all of them do work.
Another thing to mention is that if you do get it to work you will only be able to switch RGBcvS signals and not RGBcvS & YUV component as the receiver will only output the same signal it receives. Therefore the screen will need to be set to accept either RGBcvS or YUV component.
I do know that the Arcam AVR250 & AVR300 receivers are designed to switch RGBcvS via the combined YUV component & composite sockets, but AFAIK these are the only receivers that are designed to do this.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom