1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB > SVIDEO

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by evolution400, Aug 5, 2005.

1. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Anyone used one of these ?
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=30782&doy=10m7
    I have a haupauge PVR350 currently connected to my MCE by the supplied adaptro which is SCART > SVIDEO I was unaware that because my actual SKY box doesnt output SVIDEO the signal I am watching on my TV is composite.
    I am quite sure the above adapor would give me SVIDEO picture quality.
    Thanks.

2. jackylad

jackylad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got exactly what you describe PVR350 and the RGB-S-Vid convertor and it works a treat!

Make sure you set your SKY box to RGB and use a quality RGB Scart cable and S-video cable.

My MCE detected the signal straigt away no problems.

3. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I have one of the Maplin RGB->s-video converters & it made a big difference to the TV picture quality on my MCE machine. It is the cheapest such concerter that you can buy & reputedly a more expensive one from Keane or JS Technology will improve PQ even more.

4. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for the response guys thats just what I wanted to hear :)
    Just ordered me one from maplins :)
    jackylad so you have a scart from skybox to device then and svideo cable from device to PVR350 what about audio do you use a rca style to phone jack ?
    So you just have to scan for the TV signal in MCE then job done ?

5. sniff

sniff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I looked at one of those in maplins yesterday, and was surprised at how small the unit was. You could easily hide it behind the sky box.

evolution400 - When you setup your tv signal in MCE, just select the s-video option rather than the compisite one you have currently, but like jackylad said, make sure you have RGB set on the SKY box first.

Slightly off topic, apologies but...

Does anyone else use the RGB->S-video converter unit from JS Technology?

I ask because I would like to know if the conversion provides as good a picture as Sky->TV using RGB Scart. The JS Tech unit has a pass through function, so you could get the best of both worlds :)

6. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi mate I sent you a PM asking exactly how you have this connected to your haupauge card from the device.

7. crazyal

crazyal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I'm currently having problems with my cheapy Club3D 1000 capture card thru MCE using Composite so bought one of these RGB>SVHS converters yesterday, hoping a true S-VHS signal would sort the picture out. Alas no, so back it went today.

Thinking of going to a PVR350 to see if that will sort the picture quality out.

8. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have a PVR-350 and as of saturday added the maplin SVDIEO converter and the picture is much clearer I also now upgraded to the nvidia latest decoder 4.20.150 using the trial at the moment then I hear you can buy it from scan starting from £5.

9. MacBurp

MacBurp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I have two of these, and have had hit and miss results - but I don't think it's down to the converter. I used one box for my telewest box in the bedroom - the s-vid signal is good on the PC (very comparable to RGB), but the RGB pass-through is literally just that - RGB. My video (next in the chain) and TV doesn't cope too well with the RGB input.

The S-vid signal from my telewest box downstairs is awful. I swapped cable and the convertor boxes around, still the same awful picture - si its either the 2 scarts or my particular telewest box. Strangely, the RGB pass through works perfectly.

I can't compare with the Maplin converter - however i've seen posts stating that the pq from the JS tech box is a lot better.

regards,
    Paul

10. sniff

sniff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the info, it's very strage that the RGB pass through works, but the s-vid signal is dodgy. I would've thought that would point to the converter, but if both of them are the same .... :confused:

Have you tried different cables or even swapping the set-top boxes around?

Either way, I think you've convinced me that the JS unit is the way to go. Thanks