RGB Sky Connection!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Jacob, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Jacob

Jacob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    3 questions

1 - I have my Sky digital box set as 'RGB out' but it doesn't make a noticable difference if it's connected to the RGB enabled scart 1 on my TV or the non-RGB scart 2. (the answer to this may just be that that my TV is a few years old and wasn't expensive)

2 - What's the difference between the RGB and PAL setting on my Sky box (is PAL composite?)

3 - Why does my TV Scart 2 still accept the Sky signal even when Sky is set to output RGB? Is it because my TV downgrades the Sky RGB signal to composite as it doesn't receive RGB in Scart 2?

I would be grateful for some advice?

cheers

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    1) There should be a noticeable diffference but as you say the quality of the TV will have a bearing on the final image.
    I actually preferred the PAL settign for using SKY on my SONY RPTV. The RGB option is vastly superior now I am viewing on a LCD.
    2) PAL is indeed composite.
    3) Not sure of the technical reason but I assume the composite signal is present even if the output is set to RGB and if the TV isn't "seeing" RGB it defaults to composite.

May be worth trying a different scart cable and making sure that the TV is automatically switching to RGB when a signal is present.

3. AndyX

AndyX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    It may be worth checking you are using the TV scart from your sky box rather than the VCR one

4. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When the sky box is set to RGB, the scart outputs RED GREEN BLUE and COMPOSITE (which it uses for sync). If you are using a scart lead that isn't fully wired to include RED GREEN BLUE or if the VCR is in the chain blocking RED GREEN BLUE, you will get composite (identical to the PAL selection on the box).

It's pretty unusual for a TV to have a scart input but NOT accept RGB. The TV must seperate the composite signal into Red Green and Blue for the electron guns anyway so giving it RGB is actually less effort for the tv.

I suspect the scart lead is not fully wired if you are not noticing a difference.

5. Jacob

Jacob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your responses.

Personally I think the it's theTV that's the problem. As I said it just a bog standard one.

The connection is straight from the Sky box to the TV.

BoyLex suggested it might be that the scart isn't fully wired however it would appear that it is as when the the Sky box is set to RGB and I connect it to Scart 1 of my TV then I get a message on my TV that says AV1 RGB. If I then change the Sky output to PAL then it just says AV1. I suspect then that it's confirming that it is getting an RGB signal and therefore the scart must be fully wired.

Unless anyone thinks of anything else, I thank you for your replies

cheers

Jacob

6. cliveuk

cliveuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    are you sure its not working in RGB mode? the easiest way to check is to goto any of the menus, epg etc and on RGB you should not see any fuzzy edges around the text like u do on pal