1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB Signal Puzzle

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Pip_UK, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This has been baffling me for 2 weeks. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Why would a 15k RGB signal only display on my projector if looped through a DVD RGB scart?

To give you the background -

Pace 4000 NTL box has 2 scarts I have an RGB cable to my pj (11HT)

When the RGB signal is fed directly to the pj it does not display but the pj does not say no input (it flickers like it is trying to find a signal - occasionally it says frequency out of range).

I tried a digital intersert to feed the audio to the amp - result audio perfect but no RGB display.

Have not fed the audio through one scart ... no problem

How do I get the RGB signal to pass to the pj without looping it through the DVD player.

Is it something to do with the audio pins not being terminated.

Help!

Cheers,

Pip

2. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have a 11HT, but when I was doing some speculative research(!) I found this useful 10HT FAQ, from a european perspective! From this and looking at the PJ specs you should be able to send a 15k RGB signal straight to the 11HT, either by RGsB (3 leads) or RGBS - RGB with composite sync from the NTL box (4 leads).

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I would also look to separate sync signals, just connect the composite and see how you go. The only other thing I can think of is the RGB voltages being too low with the 'boost'.

4. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately, my PJ has gone back to Sony for a 3rd attempt at a repair

Will try when I get it back

Cheers,

Pip

5. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a thought ...

My RGB cable is a Syncblaster RGB scart to 5 RCA (R,G,B,HS,VS)

You have a signal boost via one of the scart pins but also have the option of an external power supply boost. When turned on this makes no difference.

Maybe the power supply is not working ... I will have it checked

Pip

6. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pip
    I am confused by your post. I thought that you had a picture on your projector from your digital box at least thats the impression I had from your post in May. As I said then the only cable that you can use that I am aware of (as I use it), is a scart cable with pin 19 connected to pin 11. To find my original post on this, search for RGB Cables posted by Dangerous. I would creatre a link but I don't know how.
    Regards
    Dave

7. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys,

Lektropacks have asked me to return the scart intersert as they say it should work.

My RGB cable does have seperate sync cables - horizontal and vertical. It strange that the cable works OK on the Pace 1000 but not on the 4000.

I checked the external power source for the sync cables and its reading 20.4 volts ... it should be 12v so will contact Kenne about this.

Dave ... sorry I missed your post in May .... what would connecting these 2 pins achieve? As I have a high cables would I need silver for any soldering?

Cheers

Pip

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Pip, I hadn't grasped that the problem started with the change of STB, or so it appears now. You're almost certainly not getting an RGB signal from the box I should think.

9. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pip
    The 11ht neds a sync on green signal to display an RGB picture. You need to connect pin 19 to pin 11 in the scart connector at the STB end. Pin 19 is the sync signal pin 11 is the green signal. Alternatively buy a cable form Keene Electronics made to deliver an RGB signal with sync on green eg. Scart to three phono.
    Dave

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Something that would help the remote diagnosis is to know that it all worked with the pace 1000. I am assuming it did, I thought it was working but without sound on the 4000, owing to absence of any other sound output. We're all confused. Clarify, and the person who is right will own up. I'm sure you've been given the right answer here, just which problem are we working on?

11. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys,

... to recap

I have a Sony 11HT. I was viewing cable tv (Pace 1000 NTL box) via a RGB syncblaster scart to 5 x BNC (R,G,B,HS,VS). Two audio phono plugs on the Pace 1000 supplied audio direct to my amp.

I have upgraded to a Pace 4000 box as the 1000 did not work with my Marantz 5200 universal remote control (the 4000 does). The Pace 4000 does not have audio phono plugs so the audio has to come out of the scart. As my syncblaster RGB lead carries no audio I have two choices –

Use the first scart for video and second scart for audio (video will not display), audio OK from second scart

Use first scart for audio and video using intersert to loop out audio to amp). Audio is ok but still no video.

In both instances the video display keeps flickering and saying freqency out of range (it does not say 'No Input')

If I use the loop through scart socket on my dvd recorder I get audio and RGB video (this doesn’t make sense to me).

The syncblaster RGB cable has an external power source, which boosts the sync signal so this is not the problem. The loop through the DVD recorder provides the answer but I am not technically competent to illicit the cause. As my DVD recorder is connected to a second Pace 4000 box, it cannot be used as a loop through on a permanent basis.

RGB video was OK through Pace 100 box. RGB video through Pace 4000 (looped through DVD recorder is even better!). In both instances the video signal is def RGB (pj displays 15K RGB in setup)

Hope this clarifies,

Cheers and thanks for any advice

Pip

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Right, my vote still stands for the 'no RGB' argument, check it's turned on and check all scart connections. If it all worked OK till the new box arrived, then it's something there. Have you tried running just the picture to see if that works? If so, the prob is in the new scart connections, if not it's the rgb output of the 4000.

13. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maw,

Have tried the Pace 4000 on my plasma tv and it gives RGB video.

The Pace 4000 also gives an RGB picture on the 11HT when looped through the DVD recorder.

I agree with you that it is a scart problem ... Lektropacks seem to think the intersert isn't working properly and I have returned it for testing.

Why, if Pace 4000 is connected to 'scart in' on DVD recorder and syncblaster to 'scart out' to pj .... I get a superb picture?

It doesn't make any sense. Wouldn't the intersert do the same thing as the DVD recorder?

A frustrated Pip :(

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I assume you've got a good reason not to leave it alone? Can you not get analogue audio out of the DVD stereo phonos from the scart connection? I think Lektropacs are right, and good fellows too if they put up their hands in such a manner.

15. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    sounds to me like the sync from the scart is not correct and by looping through your dvd player you are then using the sync from that, wich is working ok.

new cable should sort it out i guess.

16. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gizlaroc,

Occam's Razor? ... your probably right

Pip

17. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    let us know how you get on, it is intriguing me.