1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB/scart vs S-Video/scart input quality

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by NickHK168, Mar 8, 2005.

1. NickHK168

NickHK168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone tell me whether there is really a big difference of picture quality in the captioned input signals?
    As per my other thread, I am considering the JVC DR-MH30S over the Toshiba RD-XS32.
    The JVC does not have RGB input and I do have Broadband TV, whose decoder, besides S-Video and RCA Video OUT has also RGB OUT.
    So, is there any significant difference in picture quality between RGB/scart vs S-Video/scart input?
    Thank you in advance.
    Nick

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    RGB is supposed to be the best, with svideo being a very close second. However some displays may handle the signals differently. Try both and see which one you prefere.

3. NickHK168

NickHK168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you David.
    I'd try both but, my problem is that I do not have the DVD Rec at home yet.
    In fact, I am about to buy either the Toshiba or the JVC HDD DVD recorders and the JVC does not have RGB Input, which is why I am hesitating to choose it over the Toshiba!?!?

4. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    sorry , Must learn to read posts properly.

RGB seperates the video signal in to the RED GREEN and BLUE componenets.

S video seperates the signal in to chrominace and luminace.
    Chrominace being the colour and luminace being how bright (in terms of black and white) the signal is supposed to be.

To be honest there is very little difference between the 2 to the untrained eye.
    Infact on my old sony KV36fs76u televison, the svideo signal looked better, even though the RGB one is supossed to be a supirior signal .

5. NickHK168

NickHK168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you again, David.
    I have a problem: my broadband TV decoder has a 9pin RGB (or VGA???) connector, like the one used to connect PC monitors.
    I cannot find a cable that would allow me connect between the 9pin output of the decoder and the scart input of the Toshiba (yes, I have decided for the Toshiba).
    Basically I need a cable with one end usinga scart plug (21 pin?) and the other end with a 9pin RGC/VGA jack + RCA audio cables.
    Do you know anywhere I could purchase such cable?
    Thank you in advance,
    Nick

6. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    right, I think you want a vga to rgb converter.

best I can find is in this link

click here

if this is not what you want, search the site and or email them dirctly and ask about what you need.

7. NickHK168

NickHK168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the type I am looking for. Thank You!
    However, the output socket off my decoder has 9 pins (which I think it is VGA) i/o 15 pins (which I think it is SVGA).
    So, before I attempt to buy the 9 pins one, my doubt is whether the 9 pins VGA is actually RGB !?!?
    Because if it is not, then there is little point in getting it, which means I will have to stick with the S-Video signal.
    Sorry for not getting there yet (I am just starting this steep learning curve in the digital AV territory) and hope you could give me this little extra help!?!?
    Thank you agin,
    Nick

8. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Contact keene directly via email, and tell them exactly what you have and need. If they have not got it then they still might be ble to point you in the right direction :smashin:

9. NickHK168

NickHK168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I certainly will!
    Just busy with my new Panny E85..........
    Thanks a lot,
    Nick