1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB Scart versus discreet RCA output

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by wax, Oct 29, 2004.

1. wax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I have recently bought an Hitachi 42PD5000 Plasma screen that has a whole host of AV inputs in many formats.

I understand from reading that different inputs offer different qualities and in my case the order of quality is DVI, component RGB, S-video and finally compositve.

My question relates to Scart. I have a Pace Sky Digital box and a Scan SC2000 DVD player which both have Scart outputs. I have the option of setting scart output as RGB or compositive on these units. I have assumed that RGB will provide better quality?!?

My main question is: Is there any benefit in replacing an RGB scart to scart connection with a scart to RCA RGB connection (the plasma will accept RGB in it's component form). Will the quality be any better or just the same?

If the same I am guessing I will need to replace my DVD player with one that has RCA RGB output and then link to the plasma via RCA RGB.

What are the options for connecting a DVD player via DVI? I have seen this port on very expensive DVD players - are there any mid-range players that support DVI-D?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Barcoing Mad

Barcoing Mad

Oct 14, 2004
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Scart R,G,B has a sync signal (Cs) provided by the composite line. As a result, this variety of R,G,B isn't directly compatible with the analogue R,G,B,H,V associated with computers.

Therefore, use your scart to scart R,G,B for Sky box.

Component signals on RCA connectors aren't the same as R,G,B. I've never seen a DVD player with R,G,B,Cs provided on RCA connectors, only component (colour difference).