RGB Scart v Component for Wii

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by pixelated, Dec 28, 2006.

1. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Hi all

Just a quick one... the RGB Scart cable seems easier to come by than the component cable. Ordinarily I'd wait for the component but as my 360 already uses component, it'd be nice to leave it alone (the Wii is more important however...)

I was thinking as the Wii isn't HD anyway, and the 360 is... how much will I gain by going for the component OVER the RGB? I expect the RGB to be much better than composite... and I'd normally expect Component to be much better than RGB... but as the Wii isn't HD and doesn't claim to upscale, will there be a major difference? The answer no doubt is yes, but I thought I'd ask people if they've had a chance to see both.

I just want a cable that's better than composite at this point which is why I'm getting impatient. :)

Cheers
    Stu

2. midtones

midtones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My Samsung 940MW 19" LCD is currently hooked up to the xbxo360 via component, so I went the RGB scart route.

The menus and opera browser still look the same as composite. Very jagged text and icons.

3. Lin3ar

Lin3ar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,773
    Easy, VGA for the 360 and Componenet for the Wii.

Happy days all round:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

4. Wij

Wij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I'd deffinately go component with the wii, it makes a world of difference at 480p in my opinion.

[​IMG]

5. uchiha_itachi

uchiha_itachi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Very nice Wij! :smashin:

Just a quick question, what size tv is that?

6. Wij

Wij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Thanks!

Its the 26 inch, 26LC2R, I've been nothing but impressed with it, even SDTV manages to look good on this :)

7. uchiha_itachi

uchiha_itachi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh one more thing, are you running the Wii through an official component cable, or third party?

8. Wij

Wij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Third party, Blaze cable. :)

9. bendanuk

bendanuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi, please excuse me if im asking an obvious question but I'm new at this! I have the wii hooked up via the official RGB SCART cable as my old tv (32" Beko 32416NDS) is not HD ready! What option should i set my wii at 576i, 480p or 480i? I'm not sure of the spec of my old CRT TV and I cant seem to find a manual online. Cheers

10. Lin3ar

Lin3ar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,773
    I would say 576i for your set but the easiest way to do it is try all settings and see which one looks the sharpest.The best way of doing this is look at the menu text, see which is the clearest and leave it at that.

11. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Oh yeah! :oops: Good point.

12. Koolvin1

Koolvin1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    and dvi-> hdmi for the media centre! :D

13. GSXRMovistar

GSXRMovistar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm also interested in this as I'm currently using an RGB cable via a JS RGB Scart to VGA box hooked up to my PW6 and I'm really impressed with the picture and how clear anything is.

Awaiting on component cables to hook it up but wondering if I will notice any/much improvement.

14. skunk123punk

skunk123punk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Using my Wii with a Gameware branded component cable on my Toshiba 42" LCD and it's loads better than with the official Nintendo RGB cable I had bought previously. It was a bit of a pain switching component cables over everytime I wanted to play my Xbox 360 so I bought one of these;

http://www.netpcdirect.co.uk/3_way_component_cable_selector.php

Thought that the switch box might degrade the picture quality, but it doesn't it is great for the price. No image shadowing or image blurring which a previous component switch box I had used suffered from.

The image on the Wii at 480p is just great, RGB seems to give a translucent effect, especially on white and blue colours.

SkUnK.

15. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    My experience is avoid the Nintendo official RGB scart cable; at least if using a pre-programmed remote. When the console is on standby (and WiiConnect24), it still sends a sync signal through the RGB Scart, so that (on my TV at least) it defaults to the Scart input when switched on. Very, very silly. Worked this out when my Harmony remote commands seemed not to work on starting up the TV anymore - once Wii Scart disconnected, everything worked fine!

Now begins the hunt for a component cable...

16. optelic

optelic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I got my component cable from Amazon delivered on Wednesday. (BLAZE)
    Noticed a massive difference on my 40"Samsung LCD. The colours are more vibrant the graphics smoother. Definetely worth getting.

Regarding hook up. I have my xbox360 and Wii connected to my single component input through a component switch box. I simply flip a switch depending which I am playing. The image on both is great and the box only cost £14.99.

I would try and find a method of using component over VGA,RGB etc if possible. Cheers.

17. thamask

thamask

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having used both RGB and Composite on a 28inch CRT I have to say the RGB is WAY better. Therefore if you dont have an HD TV then RGB HAS to be the choice.

I do agree though about the previous comment of the cable still sending a sync signal when the Wii is on standby and connected to the internet, very annoying. I also have a 360 connected to the 27inch LCD that is NOT HD but has a VGA connector capable of 1280x1024, so get a very nice 720p picture. even though 1280x1024 is somewhere between 720 and 1080 resolution.

I almost didnt get a 360 because I though that I wasnt going to be able to display HD quality until I realised you could get a VGA capabale cable and my LCD TV had a VGA input capable of a decent resolution. You really need to play something like Gears on HD resolutions and not Standard Def. Unlike the Wii which is NOT marketed as an HD gaming solution, so the choice of RGB or Component in my mind is more blurred, especially as you are going to want to use component for a true HD device like the 360 or PS3 or any other HD kit.

18. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    I've got a Panny 42PX600 and I'm using a Mad Catz componet cable which looks better when set to 480i rather than 480p meaning my plasma is doing a better job than the wii at processing the prog scan so in answer to your question it depends on what display you have.If you have a good quality HD dsplay I can't see you noticing any difference between RGB scart and component because the display will do the job for you anyway, In fact having 480p options on anything when using a decent display is a waste of time.

19. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    Hi, the option for 480p will be unselectable so that's one option out of the way,if you select 60hz 480i this sometimes causes flicker on older sets, so 576i may be your best option but you are stuck with 50hz which could affect gameplay if software developers don't code the 50hz signal properly.

So if 60hz 480i looks good with no flicker use that one as it's the best choice.

20. Doublehard

Doublehard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i've just done a back to back test between the official RGB and the 'gameplay' component cables and the difference is only noticeable if you sit less than a metre from the screen, I use my component input for my 360 (VGA looks awful). So i've gone back to RGB. Just to let you know my TV is 45" Sagem, and i'm writing this on my Wii!

21. SuperSeven

SuperSeven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30

That's usefull to know. I'm also using the TV's component sockets for the 360, so was planning to go down the RGB Scart route for the Wii.