rgb scart to vga input

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dwhite, Dec 13, 2001.

1. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    Can anybody help me ?

I want to connect the RGB out of my SKY digibox to the RGB VGA input of my Sharp LCD Projector. I can find plenty of products which go the other way (vga to scart).

I would be willing to make my own cable if required.

Thanks

2. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Scart carries a single composite sync which is used for RGB. VGA carries separate horizontal and vertical sync signals.
    When going from VGA to Scart, you could combine the two syncs from VGA into a composite sync using some TTL gates. But I don't know of a way to split the separate horizontal and vertical syncs out of a composite to go from Scart to VGA.

But, your projector may work with just the HSYNC. It depends on the spec of your projector.
    See the link. At the bottom of the page, it mentions VGA connections.
    http://www.epanorama.net/documents/vga2rgb/scart.html

3. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    Thanks,

I think I might have found something suitable for my needs at www.rgbtosvideo.com.

Has anybody got any experience with any of the products available on this site.

The RGB to PLASMA VGA convertor should be suitable for me but it seems quite expensive.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,048
    I've used this device with Plasma's and it works. I believe John thinks there may be an issue using it with fixed pixel projectors though as they may crop PAL programme material when fed this signal. Ask him though, he's a very helpful guy.

Gordon

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I'd be interested in the outcome of this one. The current Hitachi king of the crop has VGA if I'm not mistaken as a RGB input. So to know that it's a possibility would be nice.

How much better would the RGB vrs. s video on a LCD such as the Hitachi (PJ-LC2001) really be?

6. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    S video really does have the umph to go any great distance. about 3m and you could well see a loss in signal stregth. But I have seen it go 30 m and still work.

Depending on your projector the RGB signal may not have to go through the decoder and will produce a better picture. You will loose functions like colour sat and hue.