1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB SCart to VGA converters

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by panama, Jul 22, 2004.

1. panama

panama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can anyone offer me some advice please?

I have the Panny PWD6 screen with a scart terminal board in it and that's all (at the moment).

I have a DVD player, Sky Digital(via the aspect ratio controller - from here) and Game Cube which all connect via RGB Scart cables
    (the Thor ones on offer here) all going into a scart control box (from Argos - cheap but seems to works well) and then via a single
    scart lead into the plasma (none of the devices has component output).

I have read all the posts recently which seem to advise that to get the optimum signal to the plasma I would be better using some
    sort of scart to VGA switch device, which seems fair enough :)

However there seems to be quite a few to choose from, all of which have been recommended in various posts (hence my confusion) :eek:
    which is where I would like the advice of you folks.

Ultimately I would like the best possible picture, so don't mind buying the more expensive option if it is noticeably better than the others.

So Which of the following would you advise buying:

a) the JS TEch RGB/VGA2 box (does this have a seperate power supply)(about £130:00)

b) a syncblaster cable - no power supply :clap: (about £65:00)

c) the QED Sqart AV41 box - needs a seperate power supply (about £130:00)

and then doing one of the following:

Solution 1:

Use one of the above and connect all three devices to the scart control box and then via the RGB/VGA device to the Plasma?
    The advantage is that I would only have the power, vga and aspect ratio cable running (hopefully in the wall) to the plasma (no scart).

Solution 2:

Use one of the above and connect the DVD to this only and into the VGA connection on the plasma.
    The SKY and GameCube would go via the scart control box into the scart terminal board on the plasma?
    I would then be running power, vga, aspect ratio cable and scart to the plasma

Solution 3:
    Buying an additional VGA terminal connector board for the plasma and buy more than one of the above to connect the DVD and SKY via?

Solution 4:

Anything else?

Many thanks in advance, hopefully I am not talking complete tosh :suicide:

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Panama,

I would recommend connecting the various scart outputs into your scart switch, then into the J.S.Technology RGB to VGA Mk2, then into the VGA port on the plasma. You will get a slightly sharper picture this way compared to using the scart input on the plasma and one less cable run up to the screen.

The JSTech box includes its own power supply.

Piers

3. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm close to buying a PW6 also - and looking for a similar set up to you Panama.

Just wondering ..... I've read that the PWD6 can hold different screen settings for different inputs. Not 100% sure of this - but does that mean that if you opt for the "one video connection only" route (vga cable), then you can't configure the panel to store different settings for your different video devices????

Just a thought - if you have wildly different settings for your inputs then you might be manually fiddling with the screen settings all the time ????

ZedZed

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    ZZ, that is a possible issue though it's really not that much of a problem. Many people use a single connection, say, YUV switched by their AV amp. Often, for lower priced systems/smaller rooms, we use a Pioneer 301 or 501 with it's RGB scart switching, and from that to a converter. That works very well, giving good quality switching and decent control. The remote for this amp will control a Pioneer DVD player, and switch the plasma on and off, must be a bargain!