RGB Scart to Sony HS50 ?

N

NewToys

I have been an avid reader of this forum in recent weeks but this is my first post (actually, in any forum!). I have to say the quality and generosity of the contributions is stunning ! Many thanks to everybody ! Having been in the market for a first projector, I was very interested to glean info on the new Sony HS50 which sounded very promising. Now having finally managed a demo (very convincing, stunning value compared to the DLP camp!), I have just ordered a unit which should be with me next week. :thumbsup:

Now that the bits are on their way, I have started thinking about connections. Both my DVD player (T+A 1210R) and my sat decoder (Topfield 4000PVR) only have RGB (Scart) and composite outputs. Presumably the RGB connection is the best one in each case ? As I have just rennovated my apartment, I took the opportunity to lay cables (c10m) behind the walls - I was advised by a local dealer and now have available a DVI cable, S-Video, component cables and composite. Unfortunately, I have read elsewhere that VGA is a useful option to have but alas, my wife will kill me if I open up the walls again..... :rolleyes:

Any ideas how to make the best connections and what additional adapters I need ? (hopefully, I don't need any new electronics :rolleyes: )
Many thanks for any help !

Regards, NewToys

Hello NewToys,

I have just ordered a unit which should be with me next week
nice one.... I ordered mine yesterday and won't have it for about 3 weeks :eek:

Funnily enough I went into Maplins looking for a conversion solution, as my DVD has only RGB and Composite Out. They did have a RGB to Component device which looks like just what we may be after, but at 80 notes I thought it a tad steep (especially as the cabling and connectors looked kinda 'cheap'). I shall do a little googling and see if anyone else does something similar. Ideally I'd like something that'll take a couple of RGB inputs with a Component Out. I'll let you know if I have any luck.

Cheers.

Take the R, G & B from the scart and plug it in to the HS50 component. Also take the composite from the scart and and plug that it in to the HS50 composite in. The HS50 should pull the sync signal from the composite and use it with the RGB.

Hi Dwayne,

between us, we should get it cracked ! I am still hoping that only an adapter is required rather than some box with electronics in it as the cost inevitably starts rising fast ! Your switch idea also sounds good. Presumably there is something on the market. Will also start looking and will keep you posted....

Cheers

Hi Drummer

this sounds interesting ! Fisrt Q: Do you know if there are there standard adapters on the market to link the Scart R, G, B lines to component connectors ? Second Q: How would you rate the quality of this set up versus normal component or DVI ?

Cheers

drummerjohn said:
Take the R, G & B from the scart and plug it in to the HS50 component. Also take the composite from the scart and and plug that it in to the HS50 composite in. The HS50 should pull the sync signal from the composite and use it with the RGB.

Have you actually tried this and did it work?
Paul

I used this on my Sony HT10 - I would be very surprised if it didnt work with the HS50. I have many undocumented features on the HT10. The HS50 is looking to be very similar in that way. According to Sony the HS50 wont do 1280x720@50hz over VGA - but it does.

I made up my own scart to component cable - a scart plug with 4 cables coming out of it - R,G,B and comp.

I even made an electronic sync splitter that took the v\sync out of composite and fed it along with RGB, it wasn't required though.

I compared the component out to RGB and I couldnt see the difference.

Compared to DVI and VGA though component and RGB loses. Most projectors with component\RGB will do there own internal scaling and overscan. VGA doesn't do that, hence the picture will be more prestine.

It all sounds annoyingly plausible but I can't find any confirmation of it working on the HS20 which had similar inputs to the HS50.

I'm loathe to cough up for decent quality cables only to have it fail on me (I'm a tight git)!

Looking at the HS50 manual, I wonder if it would be scart to RGBS or scart to RGsB - dunno, I'm not good at this scart malarky!?
Paul

RGBS is scart = Red Green Blue and composite. TVs that use RGB still need composite for the sync. Hence RGBS.

RGsB is sync on green = component.

Got ya.

I may cough up for cheapie cable and try this, problem is I'd need about 5m worth - I'll see if I can get one at my local maplins today.
Paul

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom