1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(RGB?) Scart to S-Video

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Deez Nutz, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Deez Nutz

Deez Nutz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New to the game so please excuse my ignorance and apologises if this is in the wrong forum.

I have just purchased a Cambridge Audio DVD recorder (+R & +RW. )Unfortunetly it has no scart input but does have a s-video which I was informed by the salesman is better. From my reading on the net I've since come to doubt this however the proof is in the pudding. Anyway I have connected the recorder to my Sky digibox using a scart lead that terminates in a S-Video connection with audio phonos. The picture is subsequently black & white, my question is, is this because the scart socket on the back of the digibox is not RGB or because I need a RGB to S-Video converter. Needless to say I have selected RGB output on the digibox.

I was led to believe that a RGB scart socket puts out a S-video signals inaddition to RGB and audio.

My Sky box is an Amstrad DX400.

Thanks in advance.

:lease:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Done by an RS salesman unfortunatle mate, if you paid more than £270 take it back and buy a panny DMR-E55 or if less buy a JS technology RGB>S-video converter, top bit of kit (needs connecting to TV scart on box, but has pass through to TV)
    PS S-video is not better than RGB!

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    A normal Sky box doesn't output s-video although a Sky plus box does. If your DVD Recorder doesn't accept an RGB input you are limited to composite only which is the poorest quality.

I agree with hornydragon's suggestion that you exchange the dvd recorder for one that is fit for the purpose you bought it for.

4. sr_edinburgh

sr_edinburgh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the same problems, there are a couple of boxes out there (Grundig GDS3000 being one) which offer an s-video port. You can pick one of these up at reasnoable cost on eBay.

The other way to get around the black and white picture problem is to use a scart adapter, but instead of plugging a s-video s-video cable in plug in a s-video to composite cable into the composite output on the scart and in my experience this also works well. Although the GDS3000 is simpler ;-)

Check out www.svideo.com for a svideo - scart cable.