1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB (Scart) to Panasonic PW5B

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Rob100, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Hi all,

I've read through numerous threads and TBH I'm totally confused...

Am I right in thinking that a suitable cable would have 4 phono's on the end - R, G, B and "sync" which you would connect into the composite input?

Now am I also right in thinking that when you plug a cable in the s-video input, the composite is disabled?

So am I correct in concluding that if I connect RGB to the plasma then the only other input that would still work would be the VGA - as plugging s-video in would "remove" the RGB sync signal?

I want to use the VGA for my PC, so without unplugging I can't use a JS RGB-VGA box.

If I used a JS RGB-Component box, would I still then be able to use the VGA and the s-video without problems??

Is there a any difference in quality between using RGB-VGA and RGB-Component??

Thanks,

Rob.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Rob100

The JS Technology RGB2VGA box is outputting RGBHV - 5 cores. You can connect into either the VGA port or the 5 x RCA connectors on the PW5B.

You will require an output cable from the JS Tech box that is 15 Pin D-Sub to 5 x RCA and then simply set the plasma input to 'RGB with sync on H&V'.

This way you still have your VGA port free for your PC and the S-Video port for your other video sources.

You could use a JS Tech RGB2Component box (with suitable cables and the plasma set to Component video) just as easily - though the RGB2VGA box is very slightly the better of the two.

Best regards

Joe

3. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Wow, what a quick responce. I love this forum :)

So (sorry for all the questions)... without a JS box of some nature was my other conclusion (RGB plus comp sync) correct?

So to do as you suggest (using the RGB-VGA box), would I need (from JS site) the VGA to 5 x BNC cable @ £35 and the Five BNC to Phono connectors @ £5?

4. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You only require the adaptors if you have RCA rather than BNC terminals on your screen. BNC are the ones that have little lugs on the sides, but RCA is the same as the audio connectors on just about every type of A/V equipment.

Joe's answered everything else, there's nothing that I could add.

As for RGB with composite sync, yes this is possible, but then you limit what you can connect as you've also tied up the S-Video/Composite input. Best to be flexible and opt for the Plasma VGA unit. Later on, if you do decide not to use your PC and to have component input (say from a progessive DVD player), you simply change the lead to a normal VGA one, and that's it!

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

5. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    That sounds like to way to go then... Thanks. Looks like I'll be ordering a RGB-VGA and a RGB-Svideo box.

Rob.

6. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah, I'd buy JS boxes, I've got a RGB+Sync cable and its fine
    apart from when playing Region-1 NTSC DVD's which it goes strange on [not sure why]. Star Wars:ATOC I couldn't watch in RGB mode because of this.

Neil.

7. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The seperate cables for R,G,B go to the 'Component' input not 'composite', Composite is not the type you should use for decent picture quality. But sometimes you have no choice, on a VCR for example that does not have s-video out.

So you can have for example a DVD going to Component, Sky Digital, Tivo etc going to VGA through one of the JS boxes and something else going to s-Video/composite.

Mike