1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB scart to component converter.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Pulsar, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Hello,

I need a little help deciding which converter to buy. I have heard good things about the John Sims box, but at £140, it is a bit expensive for me. I have also looked at the keene box, which at £90 look good value.

Can anyone m,ake any recomendations, or suggest an alternative?

This box will only be used for digital TV RGB scart signals.

Many thanks

Rob

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    £6000 and you want to save £50 on a bit of hardware? Outrageous. :clown:

I use John Sim's RGB2YUV box purely for converting digital television's RGBs (RGB sync on composite) to YUV (component) to feed to iScan Ultra (that can not accept RGB signals).

This box performs exceptionally well, meaning that it does not downgrade or interfere with the picture or sound. From what I understand, it's manufactured from "broadcast quality" components; and is highly recommended by me, and many others.

However, I haven't seen any other RGB2YUV boxes in action. Therefore I would recommend that you try searching this forum, as I recall plenty of threads with people asking a similar question to you.

Two other points:
    1. JS Tech has audio pass through, i.e. it has five outputs (YUV and L+R audio); others do not. This may or may not be useful to you.
    2. Keene provides cables, and gives you a choice of connections. JS Tech provides no cables, and therefore has hidden costs because you will also have to purchase cables along with the box.

Hope this is helpful.

StooMonster

3. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well most people seem to go the JS route and I have not seen anyone say anything bad about it.

So I think you can assume it produces the goods.

I am awkward and went for a Scan RGB scart - Component converter and it works great. I often wonder if Iwould get a better picture with the JS box. I am that amazed by the quality I already get I doubt it could get any better with the kit I have now it is properly setup. A friend who knows much more about this this stuff than I do concurs.

If someone can prove it is noticably better on my screen I would not think twice about spending another £150 on top of the existing £90 I paid for the scan option. Just sell it on ebay.

As per the previous post £150 in £XXXX is neither here nor there.
    Another good point made by StooMonster, the JS device has audio passthrough. My converter does not and is video only.

Having said that I think you have to assume that anyone spending £XXXX on a plasma has a proper sound setup. Well they should have but lets not make assumptions.

4. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Hi Stoomonster,

I didn't mean to sound tight :blush: its just that this box will serve a limited purpose in my setup. It will only be used for a Telewest digital box, for watching about 3 hours of TV each week. If it is that the JS box blows the rest away, then that is the one I shall have to buy. :smashin: I just don't like the thought of buying something because everyone else has it.

harrisuk,

I hadn't found the scan box, but with no audio passthrough that is not suitable for me. The keene box seems ok, it can convert both ways, RGB > YUV and YUV > RGB and also has audio outputs, but I worry about the quality....

Thanks for both of you replies, I would still like to hear someone elses opinion on thier converter boxes.

Cheers

Rob

5. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Pulsar if you do a search you should find quite a few posts on this topic. I have not heard anything about the keene box so cant comment on it.

I think you will find that most people on here will suggest you to go the JS route if you need audio pass through.

But hopefully some one will come along who has the Keene unit you have mentioned.

6. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I use mine for similar, in that it's for SkyDigital digibox only; which is only really used for BBC2's Newsnight and the odd bit of channel surfing -- and I have an iScan Ultra too to enhance the picture. :blush: Bit decadent for a handful of hours of tv a week. :eek:

If you search for keene in this forum there are plenty of threads that discuss this item.

StooMonster

7. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sorry, I don't supply cables as I find the ones your normally get supplied free with A/V kit should be replaced asap! They just won't be comparible to the converter's quality.

You have the option of using your own prefered brand of cable with the converters, this weekend I've borrowed "Bettercables" component leads from Joe (Media Factory), and at the moment I've only tested them with the DVD player (later will try with the converter). Picture is sharper, so investing in cables will give returns.

As for the component converter, I looked at integrated options for convertering from RGB but felt they didn't give the performance I was looking for in the converter. Instead I opted for the much more complex route of discrete components to allow me to design a unit with a much higher performance.

Put another way, my CD player is a special edition with "Discrete" output rather than an integrated solution. This allowed the designer to improve the audio quality from the CD player. If you look at high end equipment, you'll find this not uncommon.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

8. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Hello,

Thanks again for all of your replies. I think I may wait a month and pay the premium for the JS converter, as by all accounts it is a premium quality piece of kit.

If Dr John Sim is redaing this, how long does it take to receive the converter after a cheque has been posted?

Thnaks again.

Rob

9. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Typically, we send units out on the day the order is received. So if you posted on Monday, we'd get the order on Tuesday and you'd have the converter on Wednesday morning.

We also us Royal Mail Special Delivery as standard, it's a very quick service.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

10. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Many thanks Dr Sim.

I may be posting soon :)

Cheers

Rob

Oh yeah, that is very fast service.

11. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I think that you are absolutely correct not to suppy cables with your excellent boxes; just pointing out to people who's driver is price rather than quality, that there is an additional cost.

All my plasma cables are from BetterCables, and I've been very impressed with them. Although glad that there is now a UK supplier; and I won't have to worry about international shipping, taxes, and duty when I buy some more.

StooMonster