1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB Scart To Component Converter

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by harrisuk, Feb 6, 2003.

1. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Unbelivable service from http://www.scancom.ltd.uk

Ordered their RGB Scart to Component converter

http://www.scancom.ltd.uk/products/csy-2100.htm

At 5pm yesterday. Unbelivably it was with me by 10.30pm this morning !

At Half the price of the TS model everyone on this forum has been going on about as well. It is a beutiful bit of kit a bit bigger than a pack of cigs. Looks like good quality construction. Ideal, I hope it is small enough to fit within my fire place surround to keep things nice and neat.

Proof is in the quality though. Hopefully new screen will be with me by the weekend so I will post what the quality is like.

We like alternatives providing they are comparable quality certainly at half the price ! :clap:

2. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Don't we all! But you've got to consider how the RGB to Component (YUV) converter is designed. First, it's based upon the RGB to Plasma VGA unit, which is simply the best there is. Then, using discrete components we do the conversion. This allows for a high specification of conversion than you'd normally find in a monolithic IC.

It allows us to do a conversion with a much higher bandwidth than would normally be possible using a single conversion IC, with far more accurate timing information. The end result is a picture which is sharper and cleaner.

We also build to a very high standard in the UK. It's they way I intend to keep it! So, if you've spend a few thousand on a plasma screen, don't you want the best?

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

3. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I could not agree more sir. No point spending £3000 on the screen and trying to save £50 on cables etc.....

However, I must admit that I am one of theose people that when people say "This is the only option" I want to see if this is the case. So saving the £60 is not really the issue. here. Thats why I said in my original post that I would try this unit out and if it is not as good as I hope, send it back under the DSA and go for your converter.

Call me Awkward. Now I know your bit of kit is meant to be excellent because everyone is saying as such on this board.

What I want to know is if there is any alternative that can produce as good or nearly as good results. Couple of other points. You dont offer online buy - I needed it quickly and I had it within 24hrs from order from this mob. I would have had to send you a cheque etc.... Also the unit I got from scan seeems alot smaller than you unit. Now that could mean it is crap but not necessarily.

I could do with something small that fits inside my fire surround or
    is easy to conceal. This unit also claims to be constructed in the UK. If you are saying it is crap fair enough, I would have prefered to have had someone else who had bought one offer there opinion but could not find anyone.

In any event if the qquality is no good I will be sending it back and going for your converter. Worst case it costs me a tenner, I can live with that.

4. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    On-line ordering is something that we've been looking in to. First, we had to move to larger premises (which we've now done).

However, you'll find that we quickly turn around orders that are sent to us, no waiting for cheques! Typically if you order on the Monday, we'd get it on Tuesday and you'd have the converter by Wednesday.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

5. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    John,

How about a component to rgb (vga) box that can handle a progressive signal ?...... to run that X-Box of yours.

Brian

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,940
    harrisuk

Sorry to jump in but would it not have been better to have tested (and fondled) the Scancom product first before saying 'its a beautiful bit of kit' - Scancom produce good products but best to try it out first I would have thought.

Also I dont think anyone on the forums has ever said Johns converters are the only ones available - there are plenty of options its just that Johns converters (and Johns back up and support) has satisfied a lot of plasma owners who visit the forums.

Look forward to your feedback on the Scancom.

Best regards

Joe

7. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I just add my position.
    As a custom installer, I've tried and tested various converters (including Scancoms) but have yet to find anything that comes close to John's products.

I understand folks wanting to compare other products (I've done it myself and do so on a regular basis), nothing wrong with that. I also understand the point of saving money where possible. One thing to remember is the importance of the conversion and input stage. You've all heard the phrase, rubbish in, rubbish out.
    JS boxes help to put quality in so you can get quality (images) out.

If you want the best, it's JS every time.