1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB Scart to Component Conversion - Worthwhile??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tonytigerrr, Mar 4, 2003.

1. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of deciding which projector to buy - current favourite is the HS10, though the PT-AE300 may be tempting if it is a good deal cheaper as is suggested in an earlier post. The Z1 is a possible outside chance also on cost grounds.

Anyway, my question is related to this.... My multi-region Sony DVD player (200 disc changer) only has RGB Scart and S-video outputs.

Is it worthwhile buying an RGB scart to Component convertor to connect to the PJ - i.e. would I see a significant improvement in PQ over s-video?

Has anyone out there done this with any of these PJs? I'm guessing that the effect varies with different projectors!!

Also would something like the ProV help improve PQ?

Cheers for any help in advance,
    Tony.

2. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I don't know about the others but the Z1 can take an RGB signal through the VGA connector.

A DIY or special order cable is all that is required.

3. satgeek

satgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The same goes for the HS10.

4. hopdylan

hopdylan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Z1 and would be interested in a cable that would go from my SKY RGB socket to the VGA on my projector.

Where can I get one of these cables already made up?

Dylan

5. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Welcome to the Forums TT. Bear in mind that you're not going to add 'picture quality' to an RGB signal by converting it to another format. Arguably, the signal conversion process will only subtract quality, IYSWIM.

Mike.

6. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Mike and good point, but thats kinda what I'm asking. I realise that RGB -> Component will not add quality to the signal - my question is whether that is an improvement over straight s-video. Obviously the best solution would be if the projector had an RGB scart socket or my DVD had component outputs

From what I've read in these forums RGB is better PQ than s-video, however is it still better having been converted? does anyone know how much the signal is degraded (if at all).

Going back to earlier points, is it actually possible to connect RGB scart to VGA with a custom cable or is some conversion needed ? I understand there are different RGB signals and sync issues!

Cheers,
    Tony.

7. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Any Sanyo PJ dealer will be able to get you the official cable, the code no. is in the back of the manual. It's only 2m long though so not a lot of good for ceiling mounting.

The cable is RGB with sync on composite and you set the PJ to VGA scart input in the menu. There was thread recently on this forum that covered it.

I don't know who builds cables but it doesn't look a difficult job, I was even thinking of making my own :eek: