RGB scart to compnent RCA

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pip_UK, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any way to connect an RGB scart from a cable video box (NTL) to a 3 component rca input on a projector.

is so ... does this give a better picture than using an RGB to svideo convertor and a svideo lead to the projector?

Cheers

Pip

2. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    PiP,

The RGB output from your NTL box isn't the same thing as component video. (Do a search on this... there should be lot's of posts on this subject).

Unless your projector has a scart input it's unlikely that it can handle the (interlaced) rgb output from your cable box. You could just connect up the composite output to the video input on the projector but converting the rgb to s-video will give you a picture which is the next best thing to the rgb.

Brian.

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    What you will need is an RGBS to YUV transcoder, such as the Kramer FC-4042. They are not that cheap though, expect to pay around £500 for it. (Approx guess).

RGB - Component Transcoder FC-4042

The Kramer FC-4042 is a high quality format converter designed to transcode between the two most widely used professional video signal formats, RGBS and Y, R-Y, B-Y. The unit has two completely separate channels, which can operate simultaneously. The first converts Y, R-Y, B-Y to RGBS, and the second works in the opposite direction to convert RGBS to Y, R-Y, B-Y.
    Front panel buttons assign the sync format as RGBS or RGsB for each channel. Outputs are DC coupled. The FC-4042 is rugged, dependable, and is housed in a professional 19” rack mountable enclosure requiring one vertical space.

4. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice ... I think I will go for the s-video option

Will I have the same problem with my new plasma tv in the bedroom? I read something about and RGB scart to vga convertor for plasma tvs but would this work if your plasma outputs SVGA?

Pip

5. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Pip,

If you e-mail rgbtosvideo.co.uk, I'm sure you'll get good advice there with respect to this unit.

Brian

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    John Sim at RGB to Svideo's unit works well with plasmas. It was designed for this purpose. I believe it will cause the picture to be cropped if you use it with a projector adn pal material though.

Key Digital in the US do a transcoder too. $301 . I am about to order mine for my forthcoming XBOX.

Gordon

7. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Pip
    The answer to your question is yes. I feed my 10ht a rgb signal from my Ntl digibox via 3 RCA phono with sync on green. You can get this cable from Keene electronics, look for leads to go link.

Dave

8. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the contacts guys.

Have decided on the following setup to my new Tosh MT5

CABLE WATCHING
    1st NTL Box --svideo --amp-- svideo --projector

CABLE RECORDING AND PLAYBACK
    2nd NTL Box --svideo -- Panasonic DVD recorder --svideo --amp-- svideo --projector

(2nd NTL box also feeds a 17" LCD in the kitchen)

DVD WATCHING
    DVP-NS900V --component 3 x rca --amp -- component 3 x rca -- projector

Dangerous ... have you compared svideo to rgb output with the NTL box ... if so is there a significant difference?

Cheers

Pip