1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB scart to BNCs lead

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by randallnhopkirk, Jun 13, 2005.

1. randallnhopkirk

randallnhopkirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My DVD player outputs RGB according to the graphic emblazoned across the front, but to get to it I need a lead which will break out RGB to BNCs (or phonos, then I could convert).

I was in Maplins at the weekend but the only scart leads that didn't have scart at the other end were composite or S video leads (plus audio).

Does no one make a scart to RGB BNC lead? Seems like a useful product, someone must be making it?

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
  3. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your talking about a Scart-3RCA or 3BNC cable. Supra make both Scart to 3BNC or 3RCA, we don't personally stock them but I can get you a price if you wish. :hiya:

4. randallnhopkirk

randallnhopkirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have now, but the chances of my paying 145 quid for something like that are approaching vanishing! I can't see that converting formats will do anything but reduce the image quality and all I'm looking to do is get the RGB signal I already have into my projector. It's a cable or wiring adapter I want, not a converter.

Thanks for the thought, but that's just not what I need.

5. randallnhopkirk

randallnhopkirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Possibly. I actually thought I would need 4RCAs or 4BNCs because surely the RGB that comes out of a DVD player requires CV for sync too?

At the end of the day, it's something I can make for myself with my trusty soldering iron, but it seems daft to go soldering up a lead that there must be demand for - I was expecting them to be widely available.

6. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They can be had in Scart to 3, 4, 5, or 6 BNC/RCA connections, there ain't that much demand for them, Supra's AV6 with 3BNC/RCA's would probably set you back over £50, get the soldering iron out and have a go, you got nothing to lose :thumbsup:

7. surrey lad

surrey lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    DVD players and digiboxes output RGBs, so you will require scart to 4 bnc/rca.

I use the QED scart to RGBs lead but I think I paid £70-80 for it.

Try this link below, then click on rgb etc... on the left, then click scart. Scroll down to item SBB22, there you have a 2m scart to RGBs for £30!! :)

http://www.keene.co.uk/pages/cat/11lea/11F.html

surrey lad ;)

8. randallnhopkirk

randallnhopkirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, but even at £30 that's a rip off. I'm definately making my own. I'm sure I saw a reel of PSF1/7 around here a week ago.

9. surrey lad

surrey lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    By the time you buy a quality scart plug, cable and BNCs, how much change from £30 will you have for it to be worth the effort.

IMO the Keene cable at £30 is a bargain!! :)

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    I have a drum of IXOS and sections of evenhigher quality 5 core 75ohm co-ax. I keep it all as I am sure that one day I'll make some leads for myself......until that time I just buy premade VanDamme ones. My time is worth more than the money I'd save.

Scart TO 3 RCA/BNC is only of use if you have a device that outputs sync on green from SCART (NONE I know of) or YPrPb using the RGB pins in a SCART socket (Arcam). The sync for RGB s carried on the composite video signal. So if you are making up your own don't forget you want to wire the composite video OUT pin at the SCART end.

Gordon

11. randallnhopkirk

randallnhopkirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess we all have different views on cabling and the merits of expensive cable, connectors, etc. Personally I'm an arch sceptic about a lot of the hype surrounding interconnects.

I found a cheapo scart lead kicking around at home that has 4 phonos coming out of it (CV in/out and audio). I'll be pulling this apart and rewiring it, then I'll judge whether it gives me acceptable performance.

Apologies to the purists, but I think it's so cheap it uses stranded wire rather than coax.

12. randallnhopkirk

randallnhopkirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll keep it in mind, thanks for your help.

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    randallnhopkirk

Just out of interest what is the 'conversion' your planning on?

I often find folk who are 'sceptical' about Video Cable quality are not working with either a decent Source or a decent Display - if you are its not to difficult too see and test the visible differences different grades of cables will make to a signal.

The cable cant improve upon the source signal but it sure can degrade it.

We stock VanDamme Red Series SCART to 4RCA and SCART to 4BNC cables and the difference in price between buying the components and ordering a made up cable is about £20.00; and that's on a cable that retails for approx £45.00.

Spending £45.00 will only make sense if what your planning justifies that sort of expenditure - we do find a lot of folk try these cables vs. non branded and even branded cables and see visible benefits.

Best regards

Joe

14. surrey lad

surrey lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    My point exactly ;)

Great minds think....... :D

15. randallnhopkirk

randallnhopkirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe,

I'm not planning any conversion - not sure where you got that from. All I'm doing is connecting the output of my DVD player to a projector using RGBS presented on scart at the DVD player and BNCs at the projector. That's why I need the cable.

Re. cable quality, I'll try the cheap-as-you like home method I'm planning, and if I'm not happy with the results then I'll consider buying a better lead. Can't say fairer than that!

Cheers

16. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello randallnhopkirk

I miss read the bit about RCA to BNC conversion.

Please note the Digibox is not Outputting RGBS - its Outputting RGB+Composite sync; you'll need to ensure your Projector is compatible with RGB at 15.6Khz.

If its a Presentation Projector its unlikely to work with Sync on Composite when in RGB mode.

Best regards

Joe

17. randallnhopkirk

randallnhopkirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joe. I'll give it a try and see what happens. The projector's a Barco Graphics 6300 which is a pretty flexible unit. Only one way to know for sure though.

18. surrey lad

surrey lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Compatibility :
    All current Video sources in Composite, S-VHS, RGB or Component forms
    All currently proposed HDTV, extended and improved television standards
    All computer graphics formats from VGA, S-VGA, XGA to S-XGA
    Most Macintosh computers
    Electronic workstations with a resolution up to 1280 x 1024 pixels/60 Hz
    Most sources with a pixel clock up to 135 MHz

The above is from the barco site for the 6300.

Will the sync need to be combined with the green??

Joe, whats the difference between RGBS(RGBs) and RGB+Composite sync. Are they both not the same thing? :confused:

19. randallnhopkirk

randallnhopkirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The difference that Joe's pointing out is that the RGB with composite sync that domestic boxes put out on scart has a line frequency (horizontal) of 15.6 Khz, which is the same as composite video, whereas "normal" RGBS will have a much higher frequency as it is typically used for higher resolutions, ie. PC displays. Of course it's not used so much these days as RGBHV is all the rage since those IBM chappies brought out VGA.

Anyway, I would actually argue that they may both be expressed as RGBS since the S in RGBS refers to a sync which is a composite of H and V. The real difference between the two is the line frequency.

Anyway, like many things there's a difference between the strict technical definition and common usage, and Joe's really using a common form of reference which acknowledges the affinity of the sync's frequency with that of composite video.

I don't know why I'm doing all this typing, I should be going to try and make this projector work..!

20. randallnhopkirk

randallnhopkirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, turns out no solder was required, I just popped the pins out of the scart and rearranged them into the correct order to pick up RGB+CV sync from my DVD's scart output. The Barco just needed telling what format was on the BNC input and bingo!

Lovely clear and sharp image and a total expenditure on interconnects of £0. Bargain :)