RGB Scart + Speaker Cable - Advise please

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by mrdbristol, Aug 23, 2005.

1. mrdbristol

mrdbristol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On my current set-up I run the audio out ( via RCA's ) of my Digi set-top box to my home cine amp/sub.The Digi box is connected to the TV with a conventional scart lead.

Question; Should I be using an RGB only scart ,as the audio has been diverted ? and what difference would this make , if any ?

After setting my surround speakers up in the room I have the inevitable " cable spaghetti " tucked away behind a cabinet.

Question; Because this is not high quality cable , just the standard + / - cable supplied with set-up , will the sound quality be affected by the various cables being so close to each other , along the the power leads ?

I presume trimming the excess cable to avoid the "cable spaghetti" would affect audio by the distance the signal has to travel to speakers ?

Thanks in advance for any answers

2. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    Technically an RGB Scart will yield an improvement as it does only send video...

As for cable spaghetti, routing speaker cables near to mains is a bad idea for obvious reasons, try and separate them if you can, if that is not possible try as best as possible to ensure that they cross at right angles to minimise interference. With the speaker cable too, if you ahve an excess do not coil it, make sure it is flattened against itself - use cable ties if necessary, as you can get an inductive loop, which really doesn't sound all that good.... as for trimming cables, the shortest distance is always best, but ensure that all speakers "in an area" have the same length of cable to ensure equal length signal paths and the same impedance etc (by in an area i mean, the rear speakers should have the same length as each other and the fronts should also... but fronts and rears do not have to be equal)

Hope that helps.

3. mrdbristol

mrdbristol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Answered everything.

Thanks for your info.

Cheers.