RGB SCART Required : Help on selection

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dolbyz, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Dolbyz

Dolbyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Looking at buying a DVD recorder soon, as everyone I look at lacks one of the 3 below features! I'm looking for a model that has at LEAST 2 of the 3 features listed :

1) Build-in Hard drive (80GB+)
    2) DV input
    3) 2x RGB SCART inputs, and 1x RGB SCART output

Any suggestions?

2. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Just some friendly advice you may want to change the title I was about to give you some links to decent scart cables.

3. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,324
    Toshiba RD-XS34 fulfils 1 and 2.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    There aren't any DVD recorders that meet this requirement - at most they all only have 1 RGB input scart. You can get around this by using a 2 into 1 scart connector or using RGB loopthrough (which is found in most dual scart devices).

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm pretty sure you won't find (3) anywhere.
    You will find front s-video, composite video and L/R audio-in on the front of most machines, so you could get a scart > s-video+audio cables http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=scart s-vhs&doy=10m7&source=15 S-video is almost indistinguishable from RGB. The cabling won't be as tidy, but you'll have the extra input.

For (1) and (2) look at the Pioneer 530

6. Dolbyz

Dolbyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice.

Does this mean you won't get a DVD recorder that can record 2 seperate sources in any format then? I would like to connect a second DVD player AND a satellite decorder through the recorder - like an AV1 and AV2 connection - and I don't mind any connection (from the posts I see there isn't 2x RGB SCART connections - so even S-VHS or composite will do). I don't want to use the connecters on the front of the machine and have cables dangling everywhere.

Regarding the loop through that Rasczak mentioned ... what, and how exactly, would one do this? I'm not techincally savvy, but both my satellite decoder and DVD/SACD player have dual SCARTS and handle RGB.

For the 2 in 1 SCART connecter - I guess I get up and flip the switch manually all the time?

7. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,037
    You are not going to get a recorder with three scarts. You have to daisy chain them via scart. Something like DVD player through Digibox to Recorder to TV. You will probably need the digibox off to see the DVD player output on the TV. I would use a scart switchbox instead.

If there is more than one RGB scart on the TV. You can put the DVD player on the second TV scart.

8. Dolbyz

Dolbyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alright ... I'm going to daisychain my system.

DVD player > Satellite decoder > DVD Recorder > TV set ... and all will be connected via RGB SCART. Problem now is which DVD recorder has RGB SCART? It's ruled out the earlier ones I looked at, and now I'm looking at whole lot! Which ones have these?

Not sure where you are, but try not go above a Panasoinc EH50 level!