1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RGB scart question

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by loofer, Dec 12, 2004.

1. loofer

loofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If i connect an xbox to a surround sound amp with rgb scart does that still carry all audio and visual information? it doesn't just carry a video signal in other words.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    An "RGB scart" carried RGB video information only and therefore no audio at all

3. loofer

loofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    so i need either the L/R leads or an optical line also? do RGB scart leads come with either built on because my xbox only has one output port.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Scart can carry the following video-signals: composite, S-Video and RGB. As well it carries analog audio (stereo R/L) and some control signals.
    To use RGB you need a fully-wired Scart cable; I am not certain there are 'RGB only' (and-nothing-else) Scarts, but who knows.

If you connect to an AV amp you need an adapter cable, but that would give you video and audio-stereo/DPL(II(x)) only. For surround sound you would need a seperate optical cable that can transfer the digital data stream to the AV amp. Scart never has any optical connection.

Thus you may be better off by connecting the X-box directly to the TV (Scart to Scart, RGB enabled if supported by X-box and TV) and connect via an optical cable (for surround sound) to the AV amp/receiver.

5. Filbert

Filbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Are you sure you can connect your Xbox to your AV Amp via a Scart cable? Not many AV amps (if any) accept Scarts!

When you see a Scart cable which is advertised as "RGB Only" then this cable will only carry RGB video not audio. e.g. QED's AV4110.

Cables such as Ixos' XHT611 and QED's AV2110 are fully wired, and therefore will carry RGB video and audio too.

Ixos' range of Xbox cables should cover all the various options of connecting up an Xbox.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    More and more do Pioneer VCXS402 and 501 Panny and marrantz do them too....... XBOX cables and scart to scart cables are different the MS Advanced scart RGB cable carrys audio as well and has an outlet for TOSLINK

7. Filbert

Filbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    I stand corrected! :)

8. loofer

loofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah what i'm doing now is connecting the xbox to the tv via RGB scart and to the amp with digital optical. I have to say i'm amazed that the quality of picture and sound is so much better, a 500 pound tv and 300 pound games console really should come with this as standard, it's a big improvement in colour richness, picture detail and sound clarity, all for 20 quid. Needless to say every DVD kit in the house is going RGB after Christmas.