RGB SCART = Picture Wobble (left / right)

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by LarryA, Sep 2, 2007.

1. LarryA

LarryA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased a Thomson DSI 6210 Sky+ 160GB box from eBay. This is to replace my existing Pace box, which works perfectly, but has a much smaller hard disk.

When I set up the Thomson box I immediately noticed that the picture jumps from side to side constantly, every few seconds, whenever the picture is displaying images with high contrast, e.g. the Sky+ menus.
    This only happens when I have the 'SCART Control' and 'RGB' picture settings enabled. I definitely want these settings enabled, as RGB provides much better picture quality than composite PAL.
    I have a fully wired, high quality SCART cable, and a Toshiba 42X3030DB LCD screen. These were both used with the Pace Sky+ box with no problems whatsoever.

So... have I bought a duff Thomson box from eBay, or are they all like this? Is there any way to fix it, or should I send it back to where it came from?

2. skv

skv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I don't thinks its your box as I have this problem as well. I've currently got two sky + boxes and have swapped both boxes round and the connection in the one room still does this. To rectify this I ahve connected the one of the boxes throught the VCR connection to the lcd tv and this has stopped the wobble.

3. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go into the picture settings on the Sky box and lower the contrast setting - I've set mine on Medium.
    See if that helps.

4. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    Thomson Sky+ boxes are renowned for picture incompatability issues with certain makes of plasma/LCD (in particular Samsung but occasionally other makes). If reducing the contrast (in "Services" "System setup" "Picture settings" does not work you will have to swap the box for another make. It is not faulty as such merely a technical incompatability.

5. LarryA

LarryA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all.

I've resolved the problem 2 ways:
    1. Unplugged and reconnected box improved things. Maybe my expensive SCART lead wasn't connected firmly the first time.
    2. Reducing the contrast helped further.

The picture is still not as good as on my PACE 3100, nor is the box in general to be honest. I get a slight crackle on the speakers every time I change channel, and the whole thing just does not seem as responsive, or as well made.

I think I may swap the hard disks around between the two boxes, so that I can have:
    - The PACE 3100 with 160GB drive downstairs with the 42" LCD panel and quality kit
    - The Thomson DSI 6210 with 40GB drive upstairs on the old 28" CRT.

That way I also don't need to phone Sky to swap over the viewing card :thumbsup: Really lazy!
    (The one upstairs does not have a viewing card as I do not want to shell out for Multiroom. I might cough up for a Freesat card though maybe.)

I'll search for instructions / disk compatibility on this forum first before swapping of course, unless anyone wants to volunteer any words of wisdom...